chapter 2

"rejected!" flash yells as he knocks a ball out of the other players hands. i was in the gym, reading, there was a basket-ball scrimmage and cheer-leading practice going on.

the ball bounced away and knocked over a bucket of blue paint onto a banner a girl was painting. 

"you did that on purpose flash!" she accuses and stands up. 

"no, but i should've, Jenna. you better watch your back." he warns. 

peter and i walk over to Jenna.

"hey." peter says. "all right?"

the ball comes back to hit Jenna, but peter, with his back turned, slides his hand out to catch it.

"give it up, Parker." flash warns. peter looks at flash, before looking back at Jenna.

"come on, man."

"one sec." peter tells flash. peter hands me his new-and-improved camera that he said was much better now. peter walks to center court holding the ball. 

"come on, man." a player complains.

"why dont you take it from me?" flash laughs. peter holds the ball out with one hand. 

"go ahead, take it." peter tells him. he reaches out to take it, but peter tosses the ball to the other hand behind his back. 

flash reaches out to grab it but the same thing happens. flash goes to grab it again, but peter jumps, puts his hand on flash's back and spins it around his head before bouncing it off flash's back. 

some of the spectators 'oh' and laugh. peter smiles cheekily.

peter throws the ball forward, but it stays stuck to his hand.

peter holds it out.

"just take it." flash just looks at him.

"all right, how about this?" peter asks. he covers his eyes with his hand. "all right? how about that?" 

he then turns his back and flash reaches for the ball. except the ball was stuck to peter's hand.

damn it. 

the spider bit him didn't it?

"come flash, take it." peter whispers to flash, now looking back at flash without his hand on his eyes. flash pulls again before letting go of it. he starts backing up.  peter starts dribbling the ball.

"all right, bring it!" flash yells. "come on, Parker! come on!"

peter grabs the ball and starts running towards the net. he plows through flash before jumping and slam dunking the ball on the net. 

several things happen. the head cheer-leaders bubble gum bubble pops, two the cheer-leaders fall from their triangle, three peter lands on his feet, and four? the glass backboard shattered upon impact.

i gasp running for peter. 

"are you okay?" i ask him.

"yeah." he says looking up at the back board.

-----

"so what did they do?" i ask peter.

"i have to pick may up at 9 and i have to pay for the backboard. i also have community service."

"i could pay for it."

"i dont want you too."

"okay. jeez."

"Mona!"

"uncle Ben?"

"peter's got you on his computer!"