Chapter 3: Edited

Chapter 3

"Recruits! Attention!" A female voice says, an English accent tinging her voice. She walks over and Sydney could see the pretty voice matched the pretty face. If it wasn't the forties, and the laws in place weren't there, Sydney might have asked the girl to do dancing. "Gentlemen, I am Agent Carter. I supervise all operations for this division."

"What's with the accent, Queen Victoria?" One of the other soldier asks. Sydney could have sworn she heard his name. Hube? Pudge? Something like that. "Thought I was signing up for the U.S. Army?"

"What's your name, soldier?" Agent Carter goes to stand in front of the soldier. All the other men were looking, while Sydney kept her gaze forward, determined not to lose focus and get herself kicked out.

"Gilmore Hodge, your majesty," Hodge says. That's right. The other soldiers had been introducing themselves in the barracks, she heard him mention it. She never did remember bullies names though. They weren't worth remembering. 

"Step forward Hodge," Agent Carter says. "Put your right foot forward." Sydney knew where she was going with this. If someone was off balance, like putting one foot forward, they would fall more easily to a punch. She used this tactic when her and her brother were beating up bullies. Well, more like when she and Bucky were beating up bullies, and steve was getting beat up. 

"We gonna wrassle?" Hodge asks. Sydney gets handed a clipboard. She quickly fills it out and hands it back to the man who gave it to her, before standing at attention once again. "'Cause I got a few moves I know you'll like." Sydney has a look of disgust on her face, and Agent Carter punches him and he immediately falls. She straightens out her jacket to perfection while Hodge is lying on the floor in pain, with probably a broken nose. She goes to stand in front of Sydney, and they both smirk. 

"Agent Carter!" A man, their Colonel probably, says. Both Sydney and Agent Carter's smiles drop when they hear the voice. 

"Colonel Phillips," Agent Carter says, turning around and saluting the man.

"I can see that you are breaking in the candidates. That's good!" He turns to Hodge. "Get your ass up out of that dirt and stand in that line at attention until somebody comes tells you what to do."

"Yes sir." Hodge get up and stands at attention. 

"General patton has said that wars are fought by weapons but won by men. We are going to win this war because we have the best men," Colonel Phillips says. Sydney stands up straighter, her blonde ponytail blowing in the wind behind her. He looks over at Steve, but his gaze is quickly shifts to Sydney, and his eyes widen a bit. Without makeup like all the other girls wore, and her hair pulled back, Sydney looked like a guy, and could pass for one. Phillips looks over at Abraham who just smiles. "And because they are going to get better. Much better."

Sydney was on the top bunk of hers and Steve's shared bed. She looks down and sees him unpacking and smiles.

"The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an Allied effort, made up of the best minds in the free world.

They climb a rope tower but both Sydney and Steve get caught in it. Sydney was a little farther up than her brother. 

"Our goal is to create the best army in history. But, every army starts with one man."

"Rogers! Both of ya'! Get off there!" The siblings hear the Colonel yell.

"At the end of this week we will choose that man. He will be the first in a new breed of super-soldiers."

The men are crawling through a muddy pit with barbed wire over them. Sydney behind her brother, though she was barely keeping up with him as it was. Suddenly, the barbed wire falls, as one of the other soldiers had kicked the wooden post down, and the men started laughing.