Chapter 6

"Where is he, he should be back by now!" Sydney says as some of the soldier try to console her.

"He's strong, he'll be fine. Don't worry 'bout him," Timothy Aloysius Cadwallader Dugan, also known as Dum Dum Dugan to his friends, says. Sydney nods as she fight to contain tears, not wanting the men to think her weak, even though she thought crying made someone strong, they certainly didn't think so.

She hears a twig snap, she turns around, and it's just tunnel vision as she run as fast as she could, which was fast, into her brother's strong arms.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Sydney says and her brother's arms tighten around her. She opens her eyes to look into his own, but instead sees someone she never thought she'd see again. She backs away from her brother, tears now freely falling from her face, and she walks up to the man whom she's loved for years. She touches his face and he leans in, closing his eyes, the thought in his mind that he would never be able to feel that touch again. He opens his eyes and come face to face with the one that that didn't change in his love's transformation, her cerulean blue eyes.

"Bucky," She breathes out.

"Sydney," He says.

"You're okay," She says, tears still silently falling from her eyes. He brings a calloused hand up to rest on her cheek. She intertwines her right hand with his left, the ones that are not already touching each other. Sydney looks around and see the men had already started walking, leaving them to a private moment together. She turn back, and finds her face inches from Bucky's handsome one.

"I missed you so much," Bucky says. Sydney nods, telling him she felt the same. "You were the one thing I thought about to get me through the torture." They begin to lean in, but Sydney just places her forehead on his, looking into his equally blue eyes.

"We should get going. We're going to fall behind, and I know you want to catch up with Steve more," she says, and Bucky nods. They walk hand in hand, all the way back to the base.

()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()<>()

They walk through the front and soldiers create a straight line to the center of the camp as black and white soldiers alike cheer excitedly. They walk into the center of the camp and see Colonel Phillips emerge from the group of people surrounding them. Both Steve and Sydney salute him.

"Some of these men need medical attention," Steve says.

"Bennings! We got wounded!" One man says.

"Right over here!" Another man, probably Bennings, says.

"We'd like to surrender ourselves for disciplinary action," Sydney says.

"That won't be necessary," Colonel Phillips says and Steve nods. Sydney turns to face Bucky, not wanting to take her eyes off him for a second more.

Peggy and Steve talk until Bucky shouts out, "Let's hear it for Captain America and Swift!"

The soldiers all cheer, and Sydney had a smile on her face until she saw Bucky's own drop.

They were not Bucky's best friends anymore. Sure, they still basically looked the same, and their eyes and hair were the same, but they, fundamentally, were different, and that was something they would all have to get through together. Bucky would fall in love with a different woman, though it would be just as genuine the second time around.