Beat 6

Jax's POV

My first class was Chemistry. On a freaking Wednesday morning. There was nothing special about Wednesdays, I just hated morning classes. I also hated being at the filthy school. I hated the teacher talking in front of the class and I hated my life. I also hated everyone inside that freaking classroom.

I forced myself to knock on the open door. It wasn't my intention, but the knock came off timid. It wasn't enough to garner attention from the teacher who was busy scolding off some students.

I swallowed and knocked again, rather forcefully this time.

The teacher turned to me.

"I'm sorry. Is this chemistry?" I asked, checking the number on the door again, just in case I had mistaken the 2 for a different number. It was possible; the number had been engraved on a metallic plate, but it looked scratched and worn out. Hell, the door had seen better days – during World War 2.

"Yes. Take a seat", the teacher said dismissively.

He was a man of maybe 70. I'm exaggerating but he looked old. He was wearing a dark brown suit.

I tugged at my schoolbag and walked in. The class which was relatively silent while the teacher was talking had reverted to chatter and snickers. No one seemed to be focused on me, which was a relief. The only desk I could see was in front at the other side of the classroom. I walked there. Now that I was walking amongst them, most of the students turned to look at me. Some were just curious and some looked angry. The attention made my skin crawl but I forced myself to keep walking. Finding the desk, I collapsed into the chair.

"Are you wearing a prosthetic leg?" the teacher asked suddenly.

Everyone stopped talking and looked at me. I looked at the teacher, wondering what on earth he was talking about.

"You are Orlando Lewis, aren't you? The memo said you are a special need kid", the teacher said.

"Um...no. I'm Jax...Jackson Wyatt", I replied, realizing the confusion. Orlando was probably the guy I had met near the lockers.

"Hm", the teacher said and seemed to be thinking. "I was not told about you. Anyway, settle down", he said.

He started talking about something and I zoned out as I usually did in all my classes. I thought back to my meeting earlier with Orlando. I had deliberately arrived late at school to avoid the massive throngs of students littering the hallways. I hoped to avoid people as much as I could. I had been able to avoid people, except Orlando.

He was in the hallway when I came across him and I had been unable to keep walking. He had dropped his iPod. On most cases I would have just kept on walking, but I realized he was using crutches. He wasn't just using crutches though; his left leg was missing. For once in a while, I chose to interact with someone else that wasn't Matt.

I promised myself I would just help him out. I opened myself up to the idea, but when he mentioned walking together I closed up and retreated into my cage.

"Oh, there you are!" I heard the teacher say. It was the only thing I'd heard him say since our earlier talk.

I raised my head up to be greeted by the object of my thoughts. He was standing in the front of the class, leaning on one of his crutches. He was significantly taller than me and good-looking with hazel-brown eyes, tan brown skin and dark black wavy short hair cut close to the scalp. He seemed easy going with a certain charm that kept my eyes glued to him.

"Sorry I'm late", he said. He seemed to be breathing heavily.

"We have a problem. I had knowledge of only one new student; hence there was only one desk available", the teacher said. "At the moment we are experiencing furniture shortages. Would anyone like to share a desk with our new student in the meantime?"