Epilogue • Cassandra

It's been ten years since Hawkmoth has been defeated. Ten years to think about all my wrongs and how I have rightened them. Ten years to see how much I've grown from the clueless little teenager into the wiser adult. I should've known what the prophecy had meant, it was obvious.
The first part had been about me, as we had guessed, but I wasn't the privilege, Vixen was.

The invisible feelings begin to topple over the edge
With this, brings you a privilege.

In the third and fourth lines, it was mentioned about the curse that Hawkmoth placed over Marinette, and how he had been accumulating power to be able to do it.

Black butterflies begin to hack,
In power he grows, to order attack.

When I had asked Adrien, on the day that we were reunited after the battle, ten years ago, for a full encounter of what happened, although I knew, he had talked me through the one thing that I had missed out on—when Volpina had placed the illusion inside his head. Through that, I realised that when he saw his mother, seemingly coming out from the dead, it was what the fifth and sixth lines from riddle had been warning us about. That Adrien would have to conquered his old fears to move on.

Ghosts from the past, haunt and bring pain,
But over that, no more obstacles to gain.

Adrien and Marinette had put their minds together and added two and two to be able to figure this line out easily, although the power had come later for Marinette. Adrien had been right about the fact that if they had truly overcome their fears and had proven themselves entirely worthy of the hero title, they were granted the power to be able to keep their hero form and power, with or without the miraculous. This was possible because the kwamis could entwine their magical aura with their keeper's soul, thus creating a lasting bond between the miraculous and keeper. The miraculous' physical form wasn't the cause of its power—it was only a normal piece of metal, forged specially to keep the power inside—but what was inside was. Without the magic, a miraculous was worthless. Adrien had proven his worth when he had conquered his fears, and Marinette had done so when she overcome her akumatised self.

If a hero at the heart,
The test will bring the part,

'Destiny defeats the corrupt' was also a very obvious line, in saying that Hawkmoth would obviously be defeated. But the part of where it has said that the 'endless dark reign will erupt' if they did not defeat Hawkmoth was more confusing. It meant that if he had not been defeated, tyranny would rule Paris and it would never be left in peace. We knew that his intentions were really to bring back Adrien's mother from her punishment after doing wrongs in her role as kwami keeper, but it didn't seem to match up with the fact that he would destroy Paris after he had gotten what he had wanted. But I could guess why that line had been included. The ladybug and cat miraculous' represented the yin and yang, light and dark, black and white, good and evil, life and death. If they were to be used in the wrong hands, it could corrupt the entire balance of the world, and destroying Paris would be the least of what it could do.

Destiny defeats the corrupt,
Or the endless dark reign will erupt.

The last two lines drove me mad for the while when I should've seen it coming. The black blood represented Adrien, as he almost died on the day, only to be revived by Marinette's never-ending love for him. The black blood was referring to his miraculous which represented the dark side of the yin and yang. As his uncle had been shocked by his almost-death, he gave up on his hopes in fearing that he would loose another one of his loved ones.

When black blood is shed,
Evil will be dead

When the war was over, life had turned to normal in Paris, and although the crimes that happened were now well and fully under control with the the police, a certain foxy friend still looked over the city to make sure that all was well. As time went on, we saw less and less of Vixen, and although I knew what was happening to her, I would take care of that topic later. The two heroes had long stopped their businesses and had started up new ones. Marinette and Adrien had come to me, only a year ago, to say that they wanted to retire from being ladybug and Chatnoir, leaving Vixen to the job instead. Marinette now ran the Agreste company of fashion with Adrien, and at the age of 25, took his last name and added it to hers, leaving her maiden name behind. Marinette Agreste and Adrien Agreste had three children, as Marinette had always wanted: Louis, Emma and Hugo. They kept a black cat and a hamster, surprising their owners when they got along together perfectly.

And now I sat on the edge of the balcony, looking out towards the brilliant Eiffel Tower, the sunshine giving it a finishing glint. The fresh smell of cut grass and flowers scented the air and tickled my nose as I took in a great lungful of it. My eyes lingered along the tall buildings, hoping to capture a glimpse of the hero I was looking for, and there she was, bouncing along the rooftops of Paris.
Alya was living a complicated life, mostly because of the fact that she was in charge of the fox miraculous, which ironically gave her less freedom than any of us thought. Marinette and Adrien still didn't know who w behind that mask till this day, but have always been wondering. I could see it on their faces sometimes.
Ever since Alya had found out that ladybug was Marinette, she hadn't been interacting with her and they haven't seen each other in ten years. Alya was currently with Nino, but I know that there were fights at times, of where she had been disappearing off to every now and then.
I gave her the miraculous. It was finally the rot time to undo my final knot of mistake.
I focused on the invisible threads of power through my mind, concentrating on the place I wanted to be at. I felt the familiar purple smoke swirl around me, and I closed my eyes. A heartbeat later, I reopened my eyes and found myself watching the back of Vixen running across the buildings.
"Hey!" I called after her.
She stopped, turned, and stared at me. "What are you doing? Are you crazy? You're not supposed to be up here. Let me get you down, do you realise how high up this is?"
I held up a hand. "Wait, Alya, just let me tell you something first."
She paused and looked at me with astonishment written across her face. "How did you guess who I was?"
"Not guess, know. And hear me out before you ask anymore questions."
She nods but a tinge of suspicion rises to her gaze.
"I'm the one who gave you your miraculous." I say, and her eyebrows shot up in surprise and disbelief. She looked like she was about to say something, but with one of my glares, she purses her lips. "I know that you are probably feeling very shocked at this revelation, but I know things about you that others don't know. I know that you are having a difficult time, and that it's because of your miraculous. You've been hiding from Marinette for long enough. It's time to tell her and all your loved ones who you are. I will give you a choice to either retire from the fox miraculous, or to keep it. You can tell me your decision after you have finally consulted about your secret to your friends. I'm not telling you this in saying that you have to do this, but I am recommending it to you for a better life. You are twenty-six after all Alya, it's time for you to think about yourself... And your future." I say, then sigh and look away from her, only just noticing the heavy longing in her eyes.
She seemed to be lost for words, and not really sure of what to do. She looked around for a moment, then her eyes settled back on me and she gives me a small and tight nod.
"I'll do it."

🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞

It is almost night time when I finally see her rushing up the steps to the Agreste mansion in a hoodie and jeans. The sun was fadin away, casting it s orange hue over the sky as she checked in with Natalie, who was still working at the house. I saw Marinette answering the door, two-year-old Emma in her arms, being carefully caressed by her mother.
I saw Alya tell her, and I saw Marinette's reaction. Surprise, then forgiveness. Alya looked relieved as Marinette gave her a friendly bump on shoulder to shoulder as her hands and arms were already full. Adrien came into view a few minutes late from behind, greeting Alya with the same reaction.
I smiled as our eyes met, me from the balcony and her from the front door.
Her eyes told me everything I needed to know. She was going to pass her miraculous on, and thanking me silently, the glimmer in her eyes.

The End

What do you guys think of the epilogue? Show your final opinions and thoughts in the comments below!
Also, vote when you can—it won't kill you.

HL🐞