Chapter 2

That week, Ryan and I met up at the track on Friday, I challenged him to a race, and he was so sure he could beat me. I had other thoughts. I saw him stretching in the fourth lane, my favorite lane.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Stretching." He answered.

"In my lane?!" I added. "Not cool!" I told him.

"Even better." He teased.

"I hope you know that won't help you beat me." I told him, while he stood to stretch his thighs. I stood in the third lane.

"Don't be so sure you're faster than me, babe." He said. I rolled my eyes.

"I know I'm faster than you, Ryan." I said,

"We'll see. You ready?" He asked.

"No." I snapped. "I need to stretch too." I reminded him. He nodded.

"Okay. But hurry up. I want to beat you already." he said. I stretched at my own pace. When I was done, Ryan was anxious. His feet wouldn't stop moving, like he had already started running. He looked over at me.

"Ready?" He asked. I nodded. "How far are we going?" he wondered.

"All the way!" I joked. "Just kidding, one lap." I replied. "Who's call?" I asked him.

"Yours" He said.

"Okay, on your marks, get set, go!" I yelled, and took off on my stronger leg, I gained speed in an instant, I went at 85 percent speed, storing the remains of my energy for the end. Ryan sped up and began to pass me by the time we reached 200 meters. I let my legs take over as we reached the straight away, Ryan and I were neck-to-neck. I ran faster, until I hit full speed and bolted past Ryan to the finish line. I held my arms up victoriously. "I win!" I shouted. Then collapsed on the track, wobbling to the 4th lane. Ryan bounced over, drenched in sweat.

"You're sexy when you're tired." He said.

"Shut up." I told him. He lied next to me in the fifth lane and stared at me.

"I mean it." He said, seriously. "Only you look beautiful in sweat." He smiled. His blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight. He was so cute. I put my hands behind my head.

"I'm so tired." Is all I could say.

"Me too." Ryan agreed. Then he rolled over and on top of me and pretended to snore. "Jayde, slow down, you're beating me." Ryan said into my shoulder, as though he were dreaming. He laid on top of me, he was pure muscle. His abs matched with mine. I tapped him on the head.

"Ryan! Wake up!" I yelled. He pretended to snore louder.

"Rematch." He yawned.

"Ryan. I'm not joking. Get off of me!" I told him. He wrapped his arms around my waist and snuggled my chest like a pillow. We lay on the track, in lane 4, like an odd couple." Stop Ryan, it hurts!" I complained.

"Sorry mommy," Ryan mumbled into my shirt. I struggled in his grip, and built up the gumption to lick his ear. He didn't react the way I wished he would've. He smiled and held me tighter. I growled. I pounded his back, but he wouldn't budge.

"Okay Ryan, I'm not your girlfriend anymore." I said. Ryan shot up to his feet and shook his head.

"Good Morning." He said.

"That's what I thought." I said. He pulled me up to my feet, hugged me, and lifted me up. Then he carried me to the football field. I liked being in his arms. He was so strong, and made me feel safe. He looked into my eyes , and for a short moment, I couldn't think. All I could do was feel. I felt like the only girl in the world. Then Ryan put me down, and I realized we were standing in the middle of the field.

"I want to take you here one night..." He began. I looked at him curiously. "A night after I win a game, and the lights are off, and the stars are high and bright, and I want us to draw our own constellations in the sky." He told me, while pointing at the baby blue sky, and tracing his index finger from one puffy white cloud to another.

"That's so romantic, Ryan." I said.

"I know." He said. He pulled me into him, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He and I came close enough, to where our nose touched. I pulled away and whispered in his ear.

"Now do it." And with that, I ran away.

"I will!" He called after me. "Hey Jayde! Come back I want to ask you something." He yelled as I opened my car door. My mom waited patiently in the driver's seat.

"Hang on, I'll be right back." I told her. My mom just smiled and nodded.

Ryan jogged to me, and I met him half-way.

"Why don't we go out tonight?" He asked.

"Like on a date?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said.

"Ryan, you know I can't. I have too much--" I began.

"homework. Right. Honors classes and stuff. I understand." He finished, cutting me off. "That's fine. Why don't we study together?" he asked. I glared at him.

"You never focus, Ryan. You're a total distraction." I told him, still mad he interrupted me.

"No, I won't be. I promise." he assured. I shook my head.

"No." I said.

"Please!" He begged. His blue eyes penetrating my strength.

"Ugh. Fine" I said. "But you have to check with my mom." I told him.

"Okay. Where is she?" he asked. I glanced at my car.

"Gotcha." he winked.

"Hurry though." I said. He was about to pass me by and go to my car, when he stopped and kissed me on the cheek. Then smiled at me. He sprinted to my mom's car. I trailed behind, kicking the rocks along the pavement, and twirling my hair. I thought, Ryan was a great boyfriend. I never stopped loving him, honestly. He just broke my heart without knowing it. Him and I go way back, it's true. Part of me hated the many memories we shared. But most of me loved them. Like my favorite, our first kiss it was last June, on the last day of school. He and I were holding hands, walking slowly behind everyone else. he stopped me as we reached the gates, there weren't any teachers, oddly enough. He held my chin in his fingers, then leaned in and kissed me gently.