Do you believe in fate? (17)

Important: Going second base is NOT having sex. It's just making out heavily + roaming hands ABOVE the waist (and as someone pointed out could be under/over clothes).

—-

"You're quiet," remarked Taeyeon's mother, startling her daughter. "Tired?"

Taeyeon nodded. "A little."

She wasn't really tired, actually. She was simply distracted. Her mind just couldn't stop replaying the events of last night and this morning – the images of Tiffany.

She had woken up happy, with Tiffany in her arms. But soon the happiness evaporated and sadness took over when she saw the forlorn expression on Tiffany's face as the latter quietly watched her get ready to leave.

Taeyeon was late to meet her parents because Tiffany just wouldn't let her go. Where the sudden clinginess came from, she didn't know nor did she care. She liked being needed, to have Tiffany want her like that. She knew that it was going to be a tough week the moment she stepped inside that elevator and waved goodbye.

"Taetae, are you okay?"

"Appa, I'm 26. Please stop using that nickname."

"You protested. That means you're okay," said the man who then continued eating as if nothing had happened.

Her mother looked less convinced though.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asked.

Taeyeon nodded. "I just have a lot on my mind. There's a concert tonight and a winter album that was just launched a few days ago but here I am, going on vacation instead of making sure that everything works out alright."

"You have your laptop and phone with you, right?" remarked her father. "You can still work from the mountains if you want though I hope you spare your family at least a day of undivided attention. Remember, business is important-..."

"But so is family," interjected Taeyeon. "Yes, I know, Appa and I didn't bring my laptop because of that."

"That's good," said her mother.

"That's unbelievable. What's the catch?" Her father leaned forward with a knowing smirk on his face. "You're gonna cut your trip short, aren't you?"

Sometimes Taeyeon wished that her father didn't know her that well. "I have to make sure that that new artist's teaser pictures get out on time and properly. Especially since people will be tuning in to the end of year specials."

"Taeyeon-ah," her mother began to frown, clearly unhappy with the news, "you can't even spare us five days?"

"Of course I can, Umma! But it's the end of the year. In this business, that's the highlight of it all, the busiest time of the year. I'm staying for three nights and I'll be there for the annual New Year's Eve party too," Taeyeon said.

Her mother was about to protest but her father's approval silenced the woman.

"It's okay. She'll have more free time in a few years' time, when her company's more established. At least she's sparing us three nights. It's Christmas Eve, let's not argue about work."

Taeyeon looked at the man, mouthed a 'thank you' and grinned when he winked at her. She had missed such moments with her parents.

"First she won't live with us anymore and now she can't even go on vacation with us," muttered her mother, still unhappy with her defeat.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. "I will have to move out of the house sooner or later, Umma."

"After you get married, Taetae. Not before."