Do you believe in fate? (4)

"Again!"

Tiffany groaned and slumped to the floor when she heard the dance instructor's order. "Can we take a break? Please? Just five minutes, Oppa."

The man checked his watch. "I'll give you fifteen but after that, you only have two hours max to get it right or I won't let you go home tonight."

She reached out for her water bottle while mock saluting him. "Yes, Sir."

He left her alone in the room to rest but the door soon opened again.

Tiffany turned her head and saw Taeyeon walking in with a cup of coffee in her hand.

"Should I stand up and bow, President Kim?" she teased.

"There's no one here so no need," replied Taeyeon as she sat down next to Tiffany and placed the cup on the floor.

"Oh great. Then I guess I can voice my opinion freely. I hate you," Tiffany said, taking a swig from her bottle.

"Why is that?" replied Taeyeon with a chuckle.

"You didn't say anything about dancing. I suck at dancing."

Taeyeon shrugged. "Your contract clearly states that you are required to practice what we deem necessary to succeed as a singer. Dancing is a required skill for most singers these days, you know," she said and earned a pout in response. "Besides, you're not that bad and the choreography's not that intense. You'll be fine. It's not like you'll be dancing for every song you release anyway."

"Why am I doing this again?" mumbled Tiffany to herself.

Taeyeon didn't respond, knowing that it was just a rhetorical question that every trainee would regularly ask themselves during training. It wasn't easy and it took perseverance – one of the crucial traits that separated the ones who would debut from those who wouldn't.

"Sunny called this morning," she said instead, hoping to distract Tiffany for a bit.

"Oh? How is she doing? I haven't talked to her in a while," Tiffany replied.

"She's okay. She's coming back here with her father. On business."

"When?"

"Next week."

"How come she didn't tell me? Wouldn't she need her apartment back?" Tiffany suddenly realized. She was still staying at Sunny's place although Taeyeon now took care of the rent as part of her trainee contract.

"No, she wouldn't. They're staying at the family house. I asked," Taeyeon said.

"Whew. Good. I don't really like packing." Tiffany took another sip from her bottle, set it aside then leaned back against the wall, closing her eyes.

Taeyeon turned her head and just quietly observed the exhausted woman next to her.

Not three months into the training and Taeyeon had begun to get good reviews from Tiffany's coaches. The woman was a hard worker, they all said, and had a good personality. They all liked her.

She had also noticed Tiffany's growing closeness with a few of the younger trainees who looked up to her, calling her unnie despite technically being her seniors in the company.

Sometimes Taeyeon would happen to see Tiffany interacting with other people around the building and stopped in her tracks, observing with a smile.

Tiffany was clearly enjoying what she was doing. There was a glow to her that everyone could see from a mile away. Despite the long hours, stress and fatigue, Tiffany was on her way to revive and fulfill her dream, and her happiness shone through.