Do you believe in fate? (25)

Tiffany heard the soft thud of something hitting the wooden surface and turned around, away from the window, to see Taeyeon standing behind the tall counter with a glass in her hand, staring back at her.

Taeyeon had let her in once she got over the initial shock and allowed her to take a look around.

They made small talk, she complimented her house then Taeyeon awkwardly rushed to the kitchen to put her groceries away and get her something to drink.

"Why are you really here?" Taeyeon spoke.

Tiffany approached the counter, took hold of the glass and drank, buying time. She wasn't sure how to tell Taeyeon the truth.

"Not happy to see me?" replied Tiffany with a smile, hoping to break the ice.

"I wasn't exactly expecting you..."

"I wasn't expecting to see you too. Or find your little hiding place."

"That reminds me. No one must know about this place, okay?" Taeyeon warned.

"Your secret's safe with me." Tiffany turned around, took the glass with her and went back to standing near the window. "So this is where you ran off that day, huh?" She liked the view of Taeyeon's small backyard and the glimpse of sea beyond it, for some reason.

"Yes."

"What are you running from now?"

"Nothing. Was just taking a long overdue break. It's been a tough year."

"I heard. You handled things well though."

"Not everyone will agree with you but I'm just glad it's over." Taeyeon took another sip from her glass.

"How are the boys doing?"

"They won't be releasing anything soon unless they change their attitude."

"You sent them back to the old trainee life?"

"Yes."

Tiffany nodded in approval.

"Why are you really here?" asked Taeyeon again, reverting to her initial question and main curiosity.

"I was also just taking a break."

"Without anyone knowing?"

"If you can do it so can I," Tiffany said, turning around, meeting Taeyeon's unreadable eyes.

Taeyeon set her glass on the counter and crossed her arms. "You're here with him?"

Tiffany was caught off guard by how straightforward Taeyeon was. She hadn't expected Taeyeon to know.

The silence that answered Taeyeon and that shocked look on Tiffany's face said it all. So it's true. You do have a boyfriend.

"I was going to tell you," Tiffany carefully said in a low voice.

Taeyeon could only accept that statement in silence, not even sure whether it was true or not. She observed Tiffany, saw the shifting eyes and the confused and torn expression, and exhaled. "How long have you been seeing him?"

"A little over five months."

"He's a keeper?"

"I don't know."

"But he's better than the others, isn't he?"

Tiffany shrugged, refusing to give Taeyeon a straight answer.