Letter fifteen [EDITTING]

Dear Hope,

I tried the silent treatment for the rest of that day. It was tough, and seemed ineffective. She was just so gosh darn ignorant of it all. Or she just didn't care. Either way, it wasn't working. And to be honest, it didn't make me feel great. But I didn't like her. What else was I supposed to do?

Sally forced herself to sit next to me for the rest of that day. She seemed determined, I'll give her that. I didn't know what to do so I just tolerated her presence. There were times when I gave in and talked to her, since ignoring her all the time was a little tiring and made my day less enjoyable.

Soon, the bell that signalled the end of school rang and our class was let out shortly after. I said bye to my friends and Sally and walked down my usual path to get my bike. I put my yellow helmet on and rode out of the school. It was a beautiful route but there were a lot of cars on the accompanying road. Also, it was magpie season, apparently.

I rode calmly until I road under a group of trees. Suddenly, I felt something hit my helmet and I was thrown off balance. I fell, luckily, on to the grass instead of the pathway. I caught a glimpse of the black and white bird flying back into the trees. Quickly, I picked up my bike and bag and briskly walked out of the magpie's territory.

"Hey!" I heard a familiar voice call. "You alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I replied, looking at Jemma. "I didn't know you walked home."

"Haha, yeah," Jemma replied. "Where are you walking to?"

"Home, and I'm riding," I said sarcastically, before letting a giggle escape from me.

"Someone give this girl a Nobel prize," Jemma replied, clapping over dramatically. "But seriously, which direction?"

"Cherry Blossom street. It's a little whi-" I was cut off by an excited Jemma, something which I had not seen before this moment. She was short tempered, quick to react and a little blunt, but that seemed the extent of her mood swings. She was generally pretty calm and reserved. Not to the extent of being shy, mind you. She still has a big personality, an isn't afraid to speak her mind. She just doesn't speak unless it's a suitable time.

"I live two streets over, Autumn Street!" Jemma exclaimed.

"Really? Well, I guess we can walk together then. Right?" I replied.

"Well, you're going to ride aren't you? I'll just slow you down," Jemma sighed, looking to the ground.

"I'll walk my bike home," I replied. Jemma lifted her chin up and I smiled at her, proceeding to walk down the path. "Do you have a bike? Maybe we could ride together in the afternoons."

"I do actually," Jemma remarked, catching up to me. "That wouldn't be a bad idea."

I nodded and we walked for a little bit in silence. I really hate awkward silences. All of the words just escape me in that moment. Both parties are just hoping the other will say something. Or one is preparing themselves for what they have to say. Or one just doesn't want to talk.

"Hey," Jemma said quietly, looking down in an oddly vulnerable fashion for someone like her. "You told me you dislike Sally when we first met and... things haven't changed, have they? You don't want to associate yourself with Sally... Do you?"

"What?" I lied, looking straight ahead.

"Don't," Jemma  ordered, looking up at me without any sign of humour. "Just tell her you don't like her. You're hurting yourself and her. You don't need this. You're still considered new."

"Thanks for the advice, mum," I scoffed, taking a page from Jemma's book.

"Seriously," Jemma continued. "You're not doing anyone any good. Alyssa's at your throat and poor Melanie could do without this. Come on. If you don't say anything, I will."

"But... No, I can't," I returned, picking up my pace.

"So you can break her silently and painfully but you just cannot bring yourself to quickly alleviate the pain on both of you. Fair enough," Jemma said, rolling her eyes.

We walked in silence once more. Maybe I should just tell Sally. It just feels horrible though. I suppose it's the right thing to do, but I don't think Jemma realises how hard it is. Besides, I have been showing Sally that I don't like her, right? Fine. Tomorrow I will tell her. I won't care how much it hurts her. I just need to tell her she's not my friend. Fine. Just do me one favour.be by my side Hope, so I can remember what I hoped for and carry it out to the best of my ability.

Bye,
Stressed girl