13. Outside McDonald's!

“When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.” 

― Paulo Coelho, The Devil and Miss Prym

“So, are you sure that this is why you declined Josh’s proposal or whatever that was?” Eric asked for the 15th time, holding me by my shoulders and trying to make sense of everything.

It had been a few days since the night of Alec’s confession. Because Carter didn’t tell Eric much, he decided to pester me about it. And even though I am glad Carter didn’t tell him anything, I wish he had because telling Eric about Alec, just made things more real, more nerve-racking. I made a fatal mistake by promising him that I’d tell him everything after school. Whoever said “As you sow, so shall you reap” knew what he was talking about.

Removing his hands from my shoulder, I nodded my head, “Yeah, Alec is not the reason why I left Josh stranded. Actually he is the one who encouraged me to talk to Josh.” I assured him and started walking again.

Eric wanted to visit the park because of some reason. I didn’t object because I had a few really good memories of the old, rickety but still vibrant and beautiful park.

“Ah, well if Carter is generous enough to act cupid for his SISTER, then this guy must be good. He didn’t let me talk to Alec so I took his number from your mo-“ I interrupted his sentence by snatching away his phone from his hands and ran towards the park. I am not dumb like most of the girls who wouldn’t find a safe spot to delete the number and just do it in front of a six feet, ‘x’ inches (I don’t know how he is, but he is muscled) guy.

“I have around nine hundred contacts Brit, you won’t be able to find him. And don’t say you know his name because I didn’t save his number by his name. A special name from a special guy.” He jogged behind me, easily catching up with me. What can I say? I am not the best athlete around.

I frowned and stopped running. Eric imitated me and smiled brightly. Scowling I hit his back, “You are SO NOT calling him!” I, nothing, but yelled.

“Will do.” He retorted, smirking like a beep and sauntered casually in the general direction.

“No. You will definitely not do that.” I commanded, still scowling.

“Of course I will.”

“NO!!”

“Brit! I will.”

“Argh, he’ll think I am desperate!” I pouted, strolling behind Eric.

“Why would he think so?”

“Because Carter told him that I liked him. A normal person would think that I intentionally asked Carter to do that. And now if you call him, he is going to think that I am a clingy person. Which, by the way, isn’t true.” My voice came out wobbly, and I hated that. But what I said was true. I didn’t want him to think that I was desperate for his attention because I honestly was not. It is just a crush for god’s sake, not like I freaking love him!

“You girls are weird.” He ran a hand through his hair, trying to make it messier than it already was. Idiot. We walked for another minute or two and reached our destination.

The park was deserted as I expected because it wasn’t maintained anymore. Also, the new park, which was a few minutes away, didn’t let it stand a chance. I headed for the swings near the fountain which I bet was holding an algae fest. Eric tagged along and sat on the only left swing.