Chapter 1 | Welcome to Mt Weather

Emily's POV

Mount Weather Quarantine Ward

Those words should have given me answers, clues to what was going on. However all I have now is more questions. Why am I in a quarantine? Who put us here? Is Bellamy alive? However, my heart sinks at that last thought. Memories and emotions come rushing back, my head hurting with all the information. I killed Bellamy Blake, I helped connect the wires that blew him up, that burnt him to the ground. The white glow of the room may have made me think that I was in heaven, but I feel like I deserve hell. I know that Jasper is alive, in a room close to mine, but apart from that, I know nothing of anyone's whereabouts. Mount Weather, that's where I seem to be. I examine the room for further clues, and notice a security camera in the corner of the roof, obviously there to make sure I don't do anything stupid. Well why would I? For the first time in weeks, nobody is attacking me, and I'm actually clean! The classical music playing in the background reminds me of some parties up on The Ark. That triggers something in my mind, and I remember that The Ark came down from the sky. My parents could be down here with me, either that or dead. The funny thing about actually feeling safe, or at least not being in any current danger, is that you have time to think and reflect. Time to process everything, and although this could be seen as a good thing, sadness washes over me. Bellamy and Finn dead, I killed them. My parents probably dead, and I didn't even say goodbye! Sitting down in the corner, I curl up into a ball and cry, letting out all of the emotions I've been trying to hide. Well, maybe it's time to face them. Something about this room tells me I may be in here a long time, what with the bathroom, sink and couch. I look again at the picture of the lake, and realise that the artist has done a great job depicting Earth's beauty visually, but it excludes all of the other senses. Suddenly, I have an over whelming desire to be back in the forest. I'm just about to go and see if Jasper is still there, when all of a sudden the door opens, and a person in a full plastic body suit and mask walks in.

"Where the hell am I? Who are you?" I ask, trying to sound threatening but just sounding scared.

"It's ok Emily, I'm Maya. We will explain everything to you soon," She says, though I'm not comforted.

"Where are the others? How many of us are there? How the hell do you know my name?" I ask frantically, though Maya just sighs.

"You are inside of Mount Weather. We rescued you and forty-seven others from the savages," She says in a very practised voice, as if she's said it hundreds of times before.

"Then why are we in a quarantine?" I ask her in a challenging but slightly childish voice.

"You are contaminated with outside radiation..." She starts, though I cut her off.

"But the Earth is survivable, people have been living here for years," I point out.

"Some people are able to process the radiation, those who couldn't died years ago. Here in Mount Weather we never let that happen, and now all of our immune systems are weakened," She explains, cleaning and spraying my room, as a medieval looking trunk is brought in. It is opened to reveal the most clothes I've seen in my whole life! Expensive looking dresses, tops, skirts, shoes, shorts, and even jewellery! On The Ark things like this were rationed, so most clothes had all detail stripped from them. 

"We will give you some privacy to change. When you are ready meet me at the end of the corridor," Maya says, leaving the door open as she leaves. As tempting as it is to wear a fancy dress, I decide on something slightly more practical, and put on skinny jeans, a grey top, a white and blue jumper and black trainers. However I do take a golden necklace, and a few hair ties and pins.

When I'm finished getting changed, I take one last look at the room, and walk down a grey white corridor to where Maya is waiting for me.

"Good, your ready." She says, leading me into an elevator, which I am used to from the Ark. The door opens and Jasper runs up to me and gives me a huge hug that almost crushes my bones.

"Emily, thank god your alright!" he exclaims, and Monty, Harper and a few others join us. I turn around, and see that Maya has gone, though it doesn't really bother me that much.

"What do you know? Where's Clarke?" I ask him, overwhelmed by being reunited with my people.

"Clarke should be here soon, and they were just explaining what was going on when you joined us," He says smiling and leading me into the grandest looking dining room I've ever seen. A blonde girl slightly older than me is standing next to a pile of folders.

"Ah, welcome Emily, I'm Keenan," She smiles charmingly, as someone passes me one of the folders. I open it, and see a diagram of the mountain, filled with all the information and directions you could ever  need, except for one thing. There's no exit.

"Everything you need to know about Mount Weather is in your pack, and I promise that it is not as confusing as the diagram on page one makes it look!" She says charmingly, when I hear foot steps behind me, and see the amazed face of my best friend.

"Clarke!" I gasp, running up to her and hugging her.

"Emily, I'm so glad your ok!" She smiles , then looks around.

"Finn and Bellamy?" She asks, the smile leaving her eyes.

"They er, they didn't make it," Jasper says, as I feel tears welling in my eyes.

"We don't know that," She mutters, and I want to agree with her, though deep down, all my hope is gone, replaced with grief. Jasper doesn't reply, so Clarke tries again.

"What about Raven?" She asks me, looking desperate now. The blonde woman walks up to us, the grand smile still on her face.

"Welcome Clarke, if you have any questions, I'm Keenan," she says, passing Clarke one of the folders, and when Clarke looks at the map, I know she notices what I did.

"No exits, I noticed as well." I say simply. Clarke looks up at me, the look on her face giving away nothing.

"This place is too good to be true." Clarke says, and I'm about to reply, when Keenan comes over, and we notice that the others have gone.

"Girls, lunch is ready. Would you like to follow me to the main room?" She asks, as we follow, not wanting to pull any attention to ourselves. We travel through a few doors to a dining room identical to the one we were just in, except for the fact that there is food on the tables, and people sitting in the chairs, creating a very perfect scene. We take  seats next to Jasper and Monty, who are fighting over a piece of chocolate cake. 

"Sit down and pretend your happy to see us," Clarke says, surprising me at how suspicious she actually is.

"We are happy to see you," Jasper says, surprised.

"You have to try this chocolate cake!" Monty says, passing us a plate with the richest looking thing I've ever seen in my life. I take a huge bite, and groan at how good it tastes, but Clarke looks at me in shock.

"I'm not eating any of their food!" She whispers, making everybody uncomfortable. "Look, they gave us a map with no exits. Tell me everything you've seen, every hallway, every way out" I give her an uncomfortable look.

"Way out! Why would we want to leave? Look around you Clarke, there's no one hunting us here, first time in our lives we're not hungry. Why would we want to leave?" He exclaims, still being careful to be quiet, and I have to say I agree.

"Clarke look, I have my suspicions as well, but until we find something to be worried about or some actual proof that they want to hurt us, why would we waste all this?" I ask her, tucking in to Monty's piece of cake.

"Because we have friends out there that need our help!" She says.

"They're looking for survivors," Monty says, though Clarke doesn't look convinced.

"Clarke, there are no survivors. Not Bellamy, not Finn, we made sure of that. We made a sacrifice, now we have to live with the consequences." I hiss, a tear trickling down my cheek as I grab another slice of pie, trying and failing to eat all my sorrows away.

_______________________________________

So, first chapter of this book! I am really excited about this book, as I have many new things in store for the characters!