Chapter 6 | The First Human Trial

Emily's POV:

Although I don't completely trust Maya, I scream along with the others for someone to come and help her. 

"HELP!" We all shout, until finally medical officers come running in plastic suites, opening the door and loading a now unconscious Maya onto a stretcher. Me, Jasper and Monty follow as they wheel her down an air locked floor all the way to medical, where more doctors wait to treat her. We watch as the doctors say lots of things we don't understand, about blood pressure and radiation symptoms. 

"Blister coverage now at seventy five percent," a doctor says, though it looks as if the whole of Maya is covered.

"Standard treatment isn't working," The doctor says, and my heart sinks.

"What does that mean?" Jasper asks, though I know full well that grounder blood is being pumped into Maya as be speak. "Is there a non standard treatment?" Doctor Tsing looks up, and I understand what is going on. This is all just a hoax to experiment with our blood to see if it works any better.

"There is one thing we could try," She says grimly, and she catches my eye with a threatening look.

"What are you waiting for," Jasper says aggressively, and I know that is what they want him to say. They know full well that Jasper cares about Maya, and they were willing to let one of their own people die on the basis that Jasper liked Maya enough.

"It's unorthodox, because you were raised in space, your circulatory systems developed the ability to filter radiation out of your blood. Now, it's just a theory, but if we we're to circulate Maya's blood in your system..." Dr Tsing says, though I know it's more than theory, and if we do this and it works, they will harvest us all.

"I could save her," Jasper whispers, and the look in his eye tells me he'll do it. 

"What happens to him?" I ask, knowing that the grounders all die after the treatment.

"I'm not sure," Dr Tsing says, turning to me, recognising me as the girl under probation. 

"I know that look!" Monty says, turning to Jasper.

"You can't Jasper! You could die, or worse!" I say, knowing that one comment made more of an impact on my record then I meant it to, however Jasper nods his head, and a part of me just shuts down, knowing what's to come. Jasper's supposedly heroic decision will be the death of us all, however all I can do is watch as Jasper prepares for the treatment. He goes and gets changed into a hospital gown, then nervously slides into the bed next to Maya, while Dr Tsing gets the procedure ready.

"Are you sure about this?" Monty whispers nervously. 

"Look at her," I whisper, pointing at a dying Maya, "I know you like her, but her blood is about to go into your body!" However just as I say that, Maya starts seizing, and doctors go to hold her down.

"What's happening?" Monty asks, scared for what is about to happen to his friend.

"We need to do this now," Dr Tsing says sharply, preparing the tube.

"Jasper!" I plead, though  he just gives me a sharp look.

"This will sting a little," The doctor says, as Jasper lets out a large yelp.

"A little?" he says, once again managing to add humour to a grave situation. I actually hold Jasper's hand as the machine beeps and Maya's blood enters the long clear tube, slowly making its way through a machine and out the other side. The wait just makes things worse, however as the blood enters Jasper, nothing happens, except for the fact Jasper moans, his eyes going slack.

"What is it?" Monty asks, jumpy at the idea of something bad happening to Jasper.

"Maya's been heavily sedated, you will of course feel that to, it's perfectly normal," Dr Tsing says, and I look at her sharply. 

"If you've never done this before, how do you know," Monty says, picking up on her error. Only Monty could pick up on a small detail like that, the true genius he is. Dr Tsing pauses for a moment, then smiles.

"Your right, I should have said it's to be expected," She smiles, "This could take a while, why don't you go back to your room, I will send for you when he's awake." However I sit down, wanting to make sure then don't do anything dodgy, and Monty does the same, refusing to leave Jasper alone with them, by now picking up the hints of what I already know. After about half an hour, I see Maya open her eyes and sit up in shock, clearly not expecting to ever wake up again.

"Welcome back," Dr Tsing smiles, now out of her plastic suit and in her normal clothes.

"What happened?" Maya asks, sounding tired yet calm.

"Containment breach," Dr Tsing lies, "No one's ever been as sick as you and come back! How do you feel?" 

"I feel, great," Maya smiles, sitting up fully. "How is that possible?" She asks, now sounding slightly nervous, confirming my suspicion that she new about the treatments. Dr Tsing motions at Jasper, who is half awake but smiling at the sight of Jasper.

"Jasper saved your life, Maya," She says, but instead of looking happy, Maya looks horrified. Suddenly, the man I know to be president Wallace's son comes in, and asks for Dr Tsing, who follows him nervously, and I follow her, telling Monty not to follow.

"You disobeyed a direct order not to experiment on the kids," I hear he president's son say, which surprises me, knowing that this was not all planned out.

"Mr president why bring them here if not to use them?" Dr Tsing asks, which is actually a question I want to know the answer to, however the younger man and the doctor just argue until the President stops them.

"That's enough, both of you. We all have jobs to do, mine is to be obeyed." The president says.

"Yes sir, may I just say, the first human trial was a success, after what we saw tonight, in my opinion, we have no choice but to move forward with the 47." She says, before walking back in my direction, which is when I realise I'm stuffed. I can't get in the room without being seen, so I run back to the dormitory, knowing full well when she see't that I'm not in the room, she'll have no choice but to harvest me.

_______________________________________

So this was a bit of a filler chapter, but a few big things are happening in the next one! Also, I though that this song was fitting for this chapter:) Also, thank you sooo much for 100 reads. 'Stars from The Sky' Is almost up to 1000 reads as well!!!!