Me, Myself and I

Maria POV

I lay on my bed staring out the small window that gave a view into the garden. The sun was dipping below the clouds and it shone bright orange light onto my honey coloured hair making it bright ginger. I sighed and flicked a thick curly lock out of my face. The disastrous fostering selection day was over thank the lord. I hadn't been interested in any of the prospective parents but clearly the others had, though i feel bad for Tyler whose mum is accused of nicking the missing purses. I stared out the window at Jody and Tyler kicking a ball back and forth in the garden. It was strangely hypnotising and I longed to join them but I didn't want to leave the privacy and comfort of my room. It was my space. I'd adorned the bright blue walls full of Queen, Harry Potter and TV show posters; and photo after photo of me, my friends and family. My room was essentially photos. I loved surrounding myself with happy memories; all the bad ones are stuffed in a box under my bed tightly bound shut with sellotape. I only ever undo it to add another to it. I record everything I see. Everything I hear. Every last detail in those diaries. People think I'm nice. I am. I like people. I try to see the best in them. But there's so much they don't know about me. They think they do obviously: everyone thinks they know everything about everyone but I'm harder to read. And I like it that way. I'm the Dumping Grounds Agony Aunt. Everyone comes to me for advice about anything, even Mike and May-Li. I'm happy with this title: it suits me just fine.
I miss my family of course. My mum and dad, both dead from a horrific holiday accident. My eyes glance over the photos of them hanging over my bed, they're smiling faces ripping through the frame at me. My two older brothers Danny and Damien who I never see anymore as they're both in the hard London drug gangs. I was being dragged along at the age of seven before they shoved me into care. And finally my little sister Danielle. I miss her the most. She was a tiny baby the last time I saw her, but her laugh used to be to me, the happiest sound I've ever heard. Her photo hangs directly over the head of my bed. So I can always see her.
I stare at myself in the full length mirror on my wardrobe. My eyes fall over my tight black jeans, stripy top and converses. They glance over my thick, curly locks and the splash of freckles on my nose. They flash as they meet my bright orange/green eyes. I smiled at myself.
You're Maria Mc'Lowsky.
Nothing to be ashamed of.