Chapter 12

He looked at me as if I were a crazy man. He was starting to have doubts of having me as a test driver for the time machine. He stopped dialing the number.

“Why shouldn’t I?” Zac asked.

My arms were still up in the air. “Because… Because…” Should I tell him what I did once I got the time machine? I think he’ll know what to do. He seems to be the smart one in this room. For crying out loud, he built a time machine. I didn’t even finish secondary school. And this guy seemed way younger than me.

“I did something bad once I got the time machine,” I said after putting my arms down.

He put his hands in his pockets. “How bad?” he asked.

I was fidgeting with my fingers. “I may have caused a major change to this world.”

“How major?”

“Well… I made Randy alive this year.” I watched his confused face.

“What? How do you know Randy Dayz?”

“In 2009, she was my foreign exchange student from America. And this year, 2013, she was killed. So, right now, she shouldn’t be alive. She should have been dead before entering university.” I tried to explain it as calmly as I could, but Zac was still looking at me as if I was a madman. He was probably thinking on whether to call the police on me or not.

I could tell he was trying to keep his calm. “Ok, Niall, how exactly did she die?”

“I… uh… I accidentally shot her.”

“WHAT?! WHY?!” he threw his hands out of his pockets and seemed he was going to strangle me.

“I was just too weak. I have had feelings for her since she came to my school in 2009. But her boyfriend was also a foreign exchange student. They weren’t boyfriend and girlfriend then, but after going back to America. They started dating. When I heard that they were getting serious, I took a flight to America and tried to stop it. I was just too weak. Too weak to say something. I wanted her. And the only thing in the way from me having her was Mike. So… I had to get rid of him. I didn’t know what I was thinking. I followed them around one day and I saw that he was proposing to her. That sent me over the wall. I couldn’t control myself. I took the gun I had and pulled the trigger in his direction. But… but… I missed. The one person I have been wanting for almost four years… and I killed her.”

I was on the verge of tears. Every time I told this story, my tears were begging to fall to the ground. The tears didn’t want to be with me anymore. And I always pushed them back in.

Zac didn’t move. “Then what happened,” he asked after I sucked the tears back in 

I rubbed the back of my hand across my nose and sniffled one more time. “I can’t really remember why I was on this campus, but I met you and you wanted me to test the machine. I thought to myself that if this machine could really work, then I would be able to bring Randy back. And it worked.”

Zac curled his finger around his chin and started thinking. “This could be dangerous. Your actions could mess up the whole space-time continuum. A lot of things could change. Tell me, have noticed any changes?”

“Uh, yeah. Randy’s boyfriend, Mike, is actually on a concert tour with us right now. He was talking about he was also searching for Randy since she left Ireland. So, I’m guessing that they had never crossed paths till like a week ago.”

“Are they together now?” he asked 

“Yeah, they actually are. Even Randy has been waiting for Mike for the whole four years,” I said sadly.

“So, it seems the 2013 then and the 2013 now, they’re still together no matter what.”

Zac was right. Even though my actions caused them to never see each other for four years, they were still waiting for each other. Like how I was waiting for Randy.

Zac continued asking questions, “How did you exactly change the future?”

“I went back into the past and told my 2009 self and Randy that she should leave before I even start to develop feelings for her.”

Zac held his hand up and shut his eyes for a second. “Wait, wait, wait. You talked to Randy and yourself in the past?! What did you tell yourself and Randy? 

“I said that I’m not part of a band and that I killed Randy in 2013. So, I told Randy to go back home before I start liking her.”

“But I’m guessing you liked her before you even showed up from the future. If you told your 2009 self that, then you shouldn’t be liking her now!” he seemed very upset.

Zac was right. Maybe I should’ve gone a little further. Like stopping myself from picking up an application to host a foreign exchange student.

“This is horrible. You should never make contact with yourself in any time. Who knows about this? And wait, you said you also said this 2009 Randy? Does she know that she’s supposed to be dead now?!” he shouted at me.

“I kind of brought my band with me to 2009, but they didn’t remember it till I refreshed their memories. And Randy doesn’t remember it either. So no, she can’t remember that she should be dead this year.”

Zac was thinking again. “How come everyone involved in the time travel is having memory loss? I major in engineering, not the human brain.”

“I don’t know why. But isn’t that kind of a good thing? Like if Randy can’t remember, then it won’t really affect the space-time continuum thing?” I was really hoping for both a yes answer.

“I’m not sure. But it would be best if you never travelled back in time and messed with everything,” he said.

“So you want Randy to be dead?!” I basically shouted.

“No, I don’t want her dead! But you could have messed up everything!” Zac shouted back.

“It already happened. In 2009 and 2013! I already messed up everything!” I shouted once more.

“Um, Zac?”

Both our heads turned towards the door. It was Randy 

“Are you guys ok?” it seems as if she didn’t hear the important stuff, just the shouting.

Zac straightened his lab coat. “Yup, just dandy,” he replied to her.

“Well, it’s time for lunch. Let’s go to the mess hall. And…” she looked in my direction, but not in my eyes, “your friends are waiting for you.”

She still didn’t want to look at me.