Chapter Three - Puppet

Mark has never lost control.  Nobody has ever managed to take his body and play with it like a puppet.  Having every muscle, every inch of his flesh controlled by an external being sends his mind into panic mode.  For once in his life, his power is useless. He can't even warn his team, who are still fighting the other villains around him. 

They're getting their butts kicked. Mark's stomach drops further.

Jack stares at him, his freaky, mismatched eyes staring into his very soul. That horrifying, inhuman smile remains plastered on his face as he moves his hands like a conductor, dragging Mark around like a rag doll.

"You're a fun little plaything, aren't you?" the thing that used to be Jack says. "Oh, how silly, I forgot to introduce myself." In a second, he's standing with his face centimetres from Mark's. He tilts his head to the side, leaning in on his toes. "My name is Anti. Jack is gone." He settles onto his flat feet, giggling.  "Let's play a game, shall we?"

Mark breathes shallowly through his nose, wanting but unable to back away. "Sure."

Anti grins again. "Alright, here's the game. Guess how I got my full name, Antisepticeye."

The hero attempts to calm his racing heart as he responds. "You're the opposite of good, hence Anti, and you've got a septic eye."

Anti's mouth drops open, his cruel face brightening with a terrible delight. "You're good at games. For guessing right, I'll let you keep most of your limbs for when I'm through with you."

Mark fights for control, but Anti maintains his hold as he tosses the hero around, slamming him into the concrete over and over again. Mark gasps for breath, his body covered in bruises and bleeding cuts. He nearly sobs as he's thrown backwards, hitting the side of a brick building.

"Stop," he pleads, his voice barely a whisper. Mark isn't sure whether it's his imagination, but he swears he sees Anti's eyes flicker for a second.

From out of nowhere, something smacks the villain in the side of the head, sending him crumpling to the ground. Ken stands behind him, panting as he drops the piece of wood from his hand. Mark slumps to the ground, trying to catch his breath through the pain that wracks his body. He goes to stand up, but winces and leans back against the wall behind him.

"Wait here, I'll get Phil," Ken says, his eyes filled with worry.

Mark watches him race off before glancing back at Jack, who shifts in place before lifting himself up off the ground. Immediately, he claps his hand over his eye and fumbles around in his pocket. He retracts his eyepatch and ties it back on, all the while staring at the ground. When he looks up, he locks eyes with Mark. Instinctively, the hero backs away slightly, his teeth clenched from the effort. Deep cuts line every part of his body, and he's fairly certain his arm is fractured in multiple places. If there's any chance that he could be controlled again, he'd prefer to avoid it.

Guilt floods Jack's eyes when he sees Mark and the blood that covers the street. He clenches his hands into fists, his eyes wide with terror.

"I'm sorry," he squeaks, backing away from the injured hero. "I... I shouldn't... I lost control... Anti... they did this... I didn't..." He gets to his feet and steps away, his entire body shaking. Without another word, he races off at the speed of light.

Mark's attention is averted towards Phil, who runs towards him looking worried.

"Oh God, Mark, hold on," the Brit says, kneeling down beside him. He holds the palms of his hands upwards, pulling water from all around him and forming it into a giant sphere. When it reaches a certain size, he lowers it over Mark, the liquid healing him without wetting him. The hero sighs at the relief, thanking the divines above that they have a healer on their team.

"What the hell happened?" Ken demands, standing behind Phil with his arms crossed.

"His eye can make you his puppet," Mark replies, closing his eyes and leaning back.  His body still aches, but thanks to Phil, he'll be back to normal in a day or so. 

The Brit stands, his healing finished. When he speaks, his tone is serious. "You need to tell Matthias EXACTLY what happened."