Chapter Fifty-Three - The Final Push

The days go too fast for Mark's liking. After a tear-filled, horrendously painful goodbye with Jack, the hero goes back to Curatrix in order to prepare. It's strenuous, but essential. Despite the mind consuming work, a special place in Mark's brain is reserved for the villain. If the ache in his heart makes it hard to breathe, thinking of Jack can help relieve a bit of the pain. The promise they made echoes in his head, reminding him that after they've climbed this mountain, it will get better.

The big day rolls around, causing an anxious knot to well in Mark's chest. Unlike first day of school jitters or the nervousness you feel when you drive for the first time, this anxiousness causes something like a physical pain. So much depends on this battle, and the fact that he has to fight Jack just adds salt to the wound.

"It's time," Matthias says. He places a gun in Mark's hands and takes a deep breath. "Are you ready?"

The red-haired hero shrugs and places the weapon in his belt. "Ready as I'll ever be, I guess."

Matthias nods and steps back, facing the whole team. They all still feel Marzia's absence strongly in the group, but they do their best to ignore it.

"If anything goes wrong, evacuate to the hideout. I'll meet you there," he says. "Good luck."

The heroes nod and head outside. Although the city is still incredibly silent, more and more rebel groups and gangs have been spotted since the most recent announcement. It sends chills up Mark's spine just knowing that someone could be watching from the alleyways and waiting to attack.

"Come on out, villains! If you're so strong, prove it!" Felix yells, firing bullets into the air. The shots crack the silence and echo off the buildings, drawing all attention towards the Swede.

A few moments later, Cry appears out of thin air. Jack sprints to his side at the speed of light and lets Stephanie off his back, his visible blue eye cold. Mark looks at him, however, and sees through the chilly exterior. The Irishman glances in his direction and immediately looks downwards, his cheeks turning pink.

Just as everyone is drawing their weapons, a voice rings out that belongs to neither the heroes or the villains.

"This looks like a party!"

Their heads snap towards the intruders, watching as the anti-heroes approach the group. Wade leads them, trailed by Arin, Danny, and Ryan.

"You killed Bob," he states, pointing an accusatory finger towards the villains. "For that, we're joining this fight."

"We even brought a toy with us!" Arin says, an excited grin on his face as he holds up a grenade launcher.

"Shut up with the chitchat!" Felix exclaims, whipping out his gun and setting off a chain reaction. Everyone pulls out their own weapon, dashing off as the first shots are fired.

Just as Mark expected, the fight is chaos. Cars are used as walls in a concrete battlefield, protecting hero and villain alike from bullets. Mark fires his gun, but finds that he doesn't want to actually hurt anyone. He slows time and dodges a bullet before rolling away from a grenade that explodes on the ground near him. Pieces of asphalt and metal go flying upon impact and the the hero is forced to slow time in order to avoid the shrapnel. A trickle of sweat runs down his brow, but he can't stop and rest or he risks getting killed.

Jack tumbles to the side as an explosion, courtesy of Arin and Danny's combined form, rocks the street. Breathing heavily, he fires a couple bullets into the street before resting against the side of a car, shutting his eyes momentarily. So much is at stake, and for what? To keep a corrupt boss in power?