Chapter Fifty-Two - Until We Meet Again

Mark had expected to feel a little less creeped out by the silence, but as it turns out, it's just as eerie as it was yesterday. His footsteps are too loud against the concrete; his breathing is a roar in his ears. He feels out of place, like a school boy walking through an alleyway on the wrong side of town.

He approaches the area surrounding the villain institute and takes a deep breath, crouching around the corner of a nearby building. From here, he can easily see anyone that leaves without seeing the entrance.  He figures it will probably be some time before anyone leaves, so he settles himself on the ground and rests his arms on his knees, staring up at the sky. Clouds dot the blue expanse, dimming the empty streets every time they pass over the sun. Hardly any wind blows due to the wall that rises up around the city, cutting everyone off from the rest of California. Mark finds that the dim atmosphere fits the mood of the city quite nicely.

His thoughts are interrupted by the sound of footsteps. Instantly, the hero is on his feet and glancing around the corner. As soon as he lays eyes on the villain, relief washes over him.

Jack shoves his hands in his pockets, heading down the street with his shoulders hunched. Mark lets him take a couple of steps before raising his hand to his mouth.

"Jack!" he calls in a hushed tone.

The villain spins around, his muscles immediately relaxing when he spots the hero. He hurries towards him and throws his arms around Mark.

"How long have you been sitting out here?" Jack asks breathlessly.

"Twenty minutes, maybe? I had expected to wait for hours," Mark replies.

The villain shakes his head. "I was just going on a walk to clear my head." He laughs a little. "I guess they didn't lie to me when they said walks help."

Mark smiles and takes Jack's hand in his. "Come with me."

The two head off, their footsteps echoing in the vacant square. Mark bites his lip, building up the courage to tell Jack the news.

"So, um, things are getting really bad," the hero begins. As soon as he says it, he mentally kicks himself.  Of course things are getting bad!  Why can't he find the words?

Jack glances over at him, raising an eyebrow. "Yeah, I realized."

Mark stammers, trying desperately to find an explanation. "It's just... I can't tell you everything, but the heroes aren't giving up yet. I... don't know how much time we have left. Between preparations and the work you have to do, this may be our last chance to be together."

The Irishman watches him, a pained disbelief in his eyes. "No, that can't be..."

"I don't want it to be true, but there's no way for me to know. We start preparations the day after tomorrow, which brings me to my next question." The hero takes a deep breath. "This is a long shot, but would you want to stay with me until that morning? I know it's risky for you, but if I die I want to die knowing that I was with you for as long as I could be."

"The risk is worth it," Jack replies softly. "I'll gladly stay with you."

Mark smiles and wraps his arm around the Irishman's waist, pressing a kiss to the side of his head. The pair continues to walk until they reach Mark's house, where Chica greets them with a wagging tail. Jack scratches her ears before allowing himself to be led away by Mark. The hero sits him down on the couch and heads into the next room, returning with an armful of blankets.

"We're going to do everything that a good couple should do when faced with the prospect of death," Mark states, dumping the load of blankets on Jack. "Movie night and snuggles."