Chapter Twenty-one

"We have been searching for several days now," Bastet said to Sekhmet as she leaned against a tall cactus plant and folded her furry hands across her chest

"We have been searching for several days now," Bastet said to Sekhmet as she leaned against a tall cactus plant and folded her furry hands across her chest. With her large amber eyes fixed on the hills a distance away, she tapped long-clawed fingers on her lean muscular arm. "Don't you think it's time we return to Egypt?"

Sekhmet looked away from Bastet and focused on the vast wilderness of Zin with squinted eyes. They reached the deserted planes after nearly five days of searching every inch they passed, missing nothing but finding nothing. She would have given up if not for that gut feeling. She could feel Ra. He was close.

"I see what you mean, Bastet," Sekhmet said. "I'm also tired, but I know what I sense. Our master is close."

Bastet pushed her slim frame off the plant and stood by her side, looking in the same direction she did. "I see nothing." Her silver-coloured shendyt kilt swished as she stepped forward.

Bastet possessed the agility of a cat. Her cotton-white claws were her main weapon of warfare, but she also used a whip for long-range assault. Sekhmet had never fought her, though she had witnessed enough to know her smaller size helped in attacking without being detected. Her hits were always quick and precise, but it was nothing she couldn't handle. If the little feline attempts to test her, Sekhmet wouldn't hesitate to gut her.

"The others are beginning to grumble again. We have heard no words from Egypt since we left." The gold thread veil that covered half her face fluttered as she spoke. "I am merely concerned."

"Don't play on my patience." Sekhmet short temper flared as she glowered at the feline goddess. "Go tell the rest we'd be searching for one more day. If we do not find Ra by tomorrow, we will head back."

Bastet sighed and left to do as she was told. The other gods were getting restless but Sekhmet couldn't shake off the feeling that her master was near. Her ear twitched when a sound caressed it. It was a broken whisper—too faint to make out its meaning.

Inclining her head to the right, Sekhmet strained her ears and listened intently. When the sound reached her once more, a satisfied grin touched her lips. Ra was close.

***

"Your plan makes little sense. Are you aware of this?"

Quatesh smiled at Anubis' words and stared at the ceremony below with hands clasped at his back. They were atop Ra's former temple from where they watched the people present their offerings of food, liquor, clothing, and ointment. It was nearly midnight and the vast multitude of Egyptians present resembled scurrying little creatures with lit lamps on their backs.

Ra, wherever you are, I hope you feel your precious power leave you.

"Look at them, Anubis," Quatesh smiled as anticipation ate through him. "They can't live without worshipping something."