Chapter 7: Legend of a Captain

The whole human population is buzzing the next day about Eren's demise, but the trial has been labeled a private event held in secrecy until the outcome is determined. A carriage is on its way to pick you, Hanji and Mike up to take you to the Inner Walls for the trial.

"Have you been getting Shorty withdrawal symptoms?" Hanji asks with a sly smile.

You're not sure what comes over you, but you snap at her.

"We are not together!" you growl.

Hanji puts her hands up in defense, but you know she won't let it go that easily.

"But you like him, don't you?" she urges further.

"You know we're best friends, of course I like him," you smartly reply.

You will her to drop the subject matter as the three of you climb into the carriage.

"I mean love him, (Y/N). Romantic feelings of interest."

You run your hands down your face in exasperation as Hanji continues questioning you from her spot across from you and next to Mike who looks extremely uncomfortable.

"Look," you stop her, "if you're going to berate me, do it later when Mike's not around to hear it."

"Cover your ears," Hanji orders.

Mike sighs and puts his hands over his ears and Hanji begins interrogating you again.

"Why the hell does everyone assume we have feelings for each other?" you groan.

Hanji goes to say something but seems to rethink it before leaning forward. "You want to know a secret?"

"What?" you ask with a bored tone.

"The reason everyone thinks you're together is because of the obvious--you spend every moment together and the little legend about what happened after he got here," she says.

You hope it's not that incident as you nod for her to continue.

"You probably already know this, but Levi got here with these friends of his, but after they died on the expedition, he literally did not speak to a single person for three years besides Erwin and that was because he had to." Hanji puts a hand on your shoulder.

"He did, however, get the position of Captain, so he was a tad more loquacious since he had to give out orders, but that really only gave him the opportunity to lock himself in his office all day. Everyone knows not of those friends, but that no one was to even attempt to talk to him. Then, you showed up from his personal mission."

Hanji looks more intently at you as she takes a breath. "Honestly, I'm one of the only people who know the story, but everyone saw a new Levi when he began training you and you guys were inseparable. The original people from those years are mostly dead, but the so-called fairy tale of you guys falling madly in love at first sight has become a thing.

"He was always seen with you and talking to you. Sure, he was still a little angry man but he wasn't as terrifying to be around. It's because of you that I'm friends with Levi now and that he's so close with his squad and Erwin. You just never realized it."

You slump back in your seat at the admission. You knew Levi was never himself for a long time after the death of Isabel and Farlan because he told you, but you didn't think you had such an impact on his personality. He was never so bitter toward you, that's why you probably didn't realize when he was rude to others.

Now, you're not fooling yourself. Levi is a total asshole and prick at times, but you care about him. Most people don't understand his heroic characteristics and how much he cares about the people around him. You're not sure how much he cares about you, but thinking it through at this moment after uncovering a new calculation, you can assume it's more than you originally guessed.

When finally arriving at the Inner Walls, you're gradually greeted with the disgusting faces of the Military Police in front of the courthouse. You're already being metaphorically choked by the atmosphere of the entirety of Wall Sina. It manages to annoy you in every way possible.

You walk behind your superiors--Hanji and Mike--as you enter the building and are stopped by one of the mighty unicorn boys.

"Where do you think you're going?" he asks in an uneven tone and you swear you smell the alcohol from your spot even with the two bodies blocking your person.

"We are here to prepare Eren Jaeger for his prosecution. He is a member of the Survey Corps and we have the right to do what we can for his life," Mike answers.

Movement from down the hall makes your head whip to the side and you spot Erwin and Levi walking down the wooden floor. They look up at you at the same time and you smile in return.

"All right. I'll show you the way," the official says and heads in the opposite direction.

"I'm going to catch up with Commander and Captain," you say, turning and strolling down the hallway toward them.

You contain your joy of seeing your friend again and simply turn to join his side. Levi gives you a nod in acknowledgement but keeps on his steely persona.

"Apparently there's a key to a basement with the information to destroy the titans at Eren's house in Shiganshina. Also, we're going to get Dhalis Zachary to let Eren be my responsibility incase he goes rogue," Levi informs you without your asking.

"That sounds good, and if it comes down to it, don't hurt him too much today," you say.

"No promises, but if those dumbass military officials keep running their mouths, I'm going to hurt them a lot worse," he replies with venom laced in his words.

"Already fed up after a day, I see."

"They're annoying as hell. They haven't even seen titans and they're scared shitless. Eren's probably going to do some stupid shit, too, and lose his cool," Levi says irritatingly.

"Hanji and Mike went to fetch him before the trial starts, so if Hanji isn't out of her mind, she'll inform him to stay calm and don't talk at all," you respond.

"It starts in ten minutes," Erwin chimes in. "We should get to our spots before Nile tries to get us kicked out for incompetence."

You turn right and enter the large room where Eren's fate of life or death will be decided and you sincerely hope it won't end in bloodshed.