Chapter 28: A Day Off

The weather is rainy and wet the next morning as was predicted. With Erwin's command that you and Levi take a day off, you weren't sure how Levi would take it since he was just out of action for a month, but it seems Hanji will be handling the paperwork from the latest expedition anyway.

Surprisingly, Levi wasn't too reluctant to do something different, probably because you were in such imminent peril the day before and he knew you wanted a day away from everything. That's how you ended up in civilian clothing, walking under an umbrella and making your way through the city to an unknown destination.

The passerbys show their respect to you and Levi, but you're not too fond of being admired so openly. You just want to talk and spend time with your boyfriend.

"Where are we going?" you ask with your eyes cast down to watch your feet splash through the puddles.

"Just wait," Levi mumbles as he holds the umbrella up between your bodies.

"I'm impatient and my legs are sore," you complain with a sigh.

"We're almost there, or would you rather we go back to headquarters and call it a day?"

"Shut up," you reply, taking the moment to look him over in his T-shirt, jacket and jeans.

He makes anything look great.

You walk beside Levi until you get to the end of the block and he turns left to a very small shop with the words Tea Galore written over the top. You grin when Levi holds the door open for you and he shakes off the excess water from the umbrella. The shop is relatively empty with only two other patrons enjoying a cup of tea. You wait for Levi to rejoin your side before waltzing over to a quaint booth away from anyone's earshot.

"Why are we here?" you question, leaning an elbow on the table.

"Tea," Levi mutters boredly. "You're the one who wanted to take a day in the city, so this is the place I chose."

"Actually, Erwin ordered us to. I would be fine with lounging around HQ or testing new equipment in the rain," you respond.

"I suppose this is nice anyway. We've never really been out together like this," Levi admits.

"Let's call this our first official date because that's obviously what Erwin had in mind. He's always wanted us to get together."

Levi leans back and gives you a pointed look. "I'm okay with that, but Erwin shouldn't be so involved in our personal lives."

"Come on, the man looks at you like a brother and I know you do to him as well. Hell, if I wasn't so interested in you, I might say you and Erwin would make a cute couple." You smirk.

Levi groans lowly and wipes a hand down his face. "I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that."

"Can I get you two anything?" a waitress asks at the edge of the table with a pen and notepad.

"One Black and one Earl Grey, please," you request.

"Coming right up," she replies and walks back to the kitchen with her long white hair flowing behind her.

"The cadets--"

"None of that talk right now. Let's just enjoy this time away from the chaos," you interrupt.

"Fine." Levi sighs.

The teacups get set upon the table in front of you and you take a swig of the scorching liquid that burns your tongue and throat in a soothing way.

"Levi," you say in a way that indicates importance. "There's something I've been wanting to tell you for a while, but there never seemed to be a right moment."

"Spit it out," he urges, taking a sip from his cup.

You take a breath and set your teacup down. "Before my mom died, she told me something interesting. She used to be friends with your mom."

"What?" Levi chokes on his beverage and coughs once before being able to put it down.

"It was only a couple of days before she passed and I had told her you and the others went to the surface. She informed me that your mom was such a kind woman and always looked out for others, even when she wasn't in the best condition to."

"...What else?" Levi mutters hesitantly with his eyes trained on the table.

You bring your hand over to rest on top of his own for comfort. "My mom told me that your mother loved you so much and only wanted for you to have a better life."

You notice that look in his eyes that hints he's trying to hold back his emotions, especially since you're in a public place. You reach around and bring his body into yours. Levi rests his forehead on your shoulder and lets out a shaky breath. Over the years, you never knew if you would be able to tell this to Levi because you both were constantly working and there was never a calm enough time for such sentiment.

"I was so young when she died that I had only love for her, but I've never been able to remember if she loved me," Levi whispers. "Thanks for telling me."

"You deserved to know," you reply softly. "I'm sure that if she was here, she would be so proud of everything you have accomplished and the man you have become."

Another minute passes before Levi leans back and takes a gulp of tea to calm himself. You gently rub up and down his arm because you can only imagine the emotions floating through his body.

"I think she would have liked you, (Y/N). I'm sure she would never want me to be with anyone besides you," he says suddenly.

"I don't know about that," you respond lightly.

"No, I know, because you make me happier than I've ever been, and if she loved me as much as your mother said, then she would want me to be happy."

You bring your hand around Levi's neck and lean over to gingerly connect your lips with his. Growing up, there was never a time where you felt loved or cared for--as is a custom for a childhood in The Underground--besides with Isabel later on. But these moments in your life with Levi makes up for all of it and adds so much more.