Chapter 20: New Squad

One week was given to the Survey Corps to recuperate from the expedition since it was such a devastating turnout. It's the last day at the old headquarters before going back to the main one because Erwin thinks it's best that now that everything is more settled, things should go back to how they used to be.

Erwin informed you and Levi that he needed to speak with you, so that's why you're in the same room just a couple of weeks ago you were in sharing a cup of tea with your squad members. In this week, you and Levi have mended the weight you had carried and made peace--for the most part--with the result of the expedition. There's no way to change the past, so you can't dwell on it.

"He should be here. He's late, but who can say? Maybe he's taking a shit or something. Duty calls, right?" Levi says, taking a swig of his tea.

"You're sure in a talkative mood today," Eren replies nervously.

You now waltz into the room to hear only these two parts of the conversation and onward.

"So what if I am? Doesn't mean I was talking to you," Levi says boredly.

You watch from the doorway as he finishes his tea and goes to instinctively cross his left leg over his right, but ends up groaning under his breath at the pain.

"That's what you get for being an asshole to Eren," you say, making your presence known.

You take your time to walk over and sit in the chair closest to Levi and on the same side as Eren.

"It's my fault, Sir. I made the choice. If I would have thought this through, none of this--we wouldn't..."

"Look, you made a judgement call. No one expects you to be clairvoyant," Levi responds.

Heavy footsteps enter the room and Erwin finally arrives.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," Erwin apologizes.

"Sir-" Eren stops as he respectfully rises from his chair and sees his friends enter the room as well. "Why are you all here?"

"This is our new Special Operations Squad," Erwin announces.

"Wait, what? When was this agreed upon?" you blurt out.

"I would like to know that too," Levi says.

"Because I said so. You'll learn that these are the five most capable soldiers in the regiment to protect Eren. We're not focusing on the titan-shifters anymore, but rather the new assignments."

"New assignments? Sir, Captain Levi is still injured and won't be able to do anything for at least three more weeks," you stress.

"Precisely why I'm having you lead this squad until he's recovered," Erwin reveals.

"But-"

"Then, if you accept, I want you to take over Ness' squad since he is no longer with us. Hanji and Mike have filled in their member positions as of recently as well," he interrupts.

You can see Levi's emotionless expression as he's not entirely sure if you will choose his squad over your own, but thinking isn't an option at all when you already know.

"I declined that offer long ago, Erwin. I'll lead Levi's squad if I must, but I will never take a position with another. I'm not the leading type and I'm not willing to leave Levi either," you answer.

The young soldiers seem to be shocked at your answer and informal directing of the two highest ranking people of the Survey Corps, but you don't care at this point.

"Very well." Erwin sighs. "Everyone sit down so we can go over the plans."

The five of them sit around the table and you're now positioned across from Jean and next to Sasha. You're well aware of these rookies' abilities since you kept updated on their training statistics, but you're not sure how they are in the field, besides Mikasa.

"There's been word that the district toward the west end of the wall may possibly have a titan attack," Erwin explains, rolling out the map of that district. "The wall here is the oldest, meaning it's not as tall as the others. Usually because of its location, titans don't pay it much attention, but Commander Pixis has informed me that there have been more titans arriving everyday."

"Are we going to wait for the attack or engage first with the upper hand?" you question.

"That's ultimately for you to decide, Squad Leader," he replies.

You pale and you feel your heart speed up. This is why you don't want to lead--the wrong decision. You're not cut out for this one bit. Instead of answering immediately, you look over to Levi for guidance because he's the real leader here, not you.

Levi shifts his sights between you to Erwin before speaking. "Getting the upper hand isn't always the best option. It puts more of our own soldiers at risk of death, because outside of the walls, it's tougher to operate 3D Maneuver Gear. It's better if we wait for the attack."

"Civilians could die!" Sasha points out.

"That's why we evacuate them before the titans get over the wall. No civilian casualties and our soldiers are safer, Idiot," Levi says factually.

"I completely agree," you say. "Thanks."

Levi nods and Erwin points the routes out on the map and where each member will be stationed at the time. You throw in your own opinions here and there as you attempt to get more comfortable with having such an important standpoint in everything that happens.

"I'll leave the rest to you. We depart in an hour to go back to HQ," Erwin says.

Erwin rises from his chair and exits the room after that, leaving everything in your hands.

"Well," you start, "I believe Hanji's squad will also be joining us on this expedition when the time comes, but that doesn't mean it will be easier. Everyone needs to be prepared and ready for anything. Captain, anything to add?"

Levi traces the edge of his tea cup with his finger before glaring around the table.

"You may think this will be different since I'm not leading you on this mission, but you will show the same respect to (Y/N) as you would to me or any other superior. If you don't, the titans will be the least of your worries. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Sir!" the cadets chorus in fright and stand to salute.

"Dismissed," you and Levi say together.

"Eren, you're to only go pack your belongings. Do not leave the castle or go anywhere else unless authorized," Levi instructs.

"Yes, Sir," Eren replies and leaves with the others.

You wait for the door to shut and footsteps to recede before separating the files on each cadet Erwin had given you subtly when walking past your chair. You flip open Arlet, Armin first.

"Average fighting skills, but overall highly intelligent. I see him working with Erwin on a lot of maps and formation plannings," you murmur, reading off the papers before handing them to Levi.

"(Y/N)," Levi calls to get your attention. "Are you okay about doing this?"

"Hell no," you reply. "But I will and I can handle it."

Levi doesn't respond and you examine the rest of the files while making comments on each member until one of the soldiers come into the room to tell you and Levi it's time to leave. You stack the folders as Levi uses his crutches to stand and you walk by his side out of the room and soon the castle.

A carriage is waiting outside specially for the injured captain and Eren is being forced to also ride along. You go to help Levi up into it but he gives you that help-me-and-you're-dead look which you usually ignore, except you don't want his foolish pride hurt in front of his subordinates, so you allow him to get in himself.

"Squad Leader!" Eren salutes you as he approaches.

You wave a hand. "It's fine, Eren. Don't let him do something stupid that will make his ankle hurt more, okay?"

Eren seems perplexed at the request of him looking out for Levi, but accepts and climbs into the carriage anyway. You smile at them before handing Levi the files and closing the door to then go to the front of the Scouts where Erwin and your horse are waiting to lead everyone home.