Love Will Take You

I’m not naive. I know what they do.

I watch as the four of them finish their final preparations. Victor leans against his desk scowling at me. Out of habit, I lower my head and look directly at the floor.

A pair of brown suede boots appear in front of me. If I look up, I risk the wrath of Victor.  I want to look up though.  I know exactly who owns these boots.

“Here you are, Sir,” I say quietly handing him his black coat. As he takes the coat, his cool hand touches mine.

“Thank you, Daria.”  His voice is like honey. Soothing to the soul.  The English accent makes my heart beat just a little bit faster.

I nod, not wanting Sire to punish me.

One by one, the other three take the garments hanging across my arm.  Once Master Niall has taken his, I turn and leave the room.

They go almost every night at midnight.

~~~

I hear four distinct car doors close and begin to panic.  I pull the black velvet curtain, almost tearing it off it’s rod above the bed.  Grabbing my dressing gown off the chair, I throw open the bedroom door.  I run down the stairs as quickly as I can as I button the high collared garment. It’s thick; made of wool for these cooler autumn nights.

My wardrobe in the house is floor length, long-sleeved and high necked. He requires it. He is the only one allowed to see me in regular clothing. He says it is for my safety. The boys, as he calls them, are not to see me in anything else. 

As I place my foot on the bottom stair, the front door opens.  Laughter fills the foyer. I scurry quickly to my place and end up tripping on the hem of the gown. My body shudders as his two cool hands grab gently, yet firmly, onto my arms.

“You mustn’t run on our account,” Master Harry says softly. “You could get hurt.”

“I’m sorry,” I plead. I don’t want him to punish me either. “Oh!” I can smell the iron on his coat. I cover my nose quickly. 

Master Louis appears next to me as I turn my head, “Are you alright, Daria?”

“Yes, sir.” I answer straightening up.  The two gentle hands return to their owner’s side, clenching slightly into fists. “I’ll have that cleaned for you by tomorrow morning,” I tell Harry without looking up from the floor.

“It’s fine. I’ll take care of it. You should get some rest,” Harry says stepping past me.

“It’s my duty. He will be upset if I don’t.”

“Do you ever sleep, Daria?” His voice is harsh as he turns. I can see the tips of his boots as he nears me.

“I’ll rest after my duties are finished, Sir,” I answer, pulling the gown closer to my body.

“Well, if Harry was a little more careful, you wouldn’t need to clean it. Go rest.” Niall says pushing Harry away from me. “Watch your tone with her. Victor will have your head.”

“Victor can piss off.”

If Victor finds out I didn’t clean the blood off of Harry’s coat, he’ll have my hide.

“Master Styles, please. Let me clean the coat,” I beg him. He lets out a growl as he removes the leather duster and hands it to Master Niall.

“Wouldn’t want to upset the old man, would we?” He continues in the same tone as he climbs the stairs. His bedroom door slams causing me to flinch.