Despertar

Niall and Louis flew passed me on the stairs, knocking me into the railing.

“Daria, stop.  Wait for them to make sure everything is as it should be,” Zeline said grabbing my arm.

“Let go!  What if something is wrong?  What if he’s awake?” I tried to pry her hand from my bicep.

“Let them protect you both,” she said with a hiss. “We don’t know if Ambrogio is in there. If he is, we don’t know what he has done or will do.”

“This was your idea!  Why would you have me summon him if he could hurt Harry? Why would you do that?” I turned on her.

“Did you not think he could be angered by his Queen asking for help to save her lover?” She looked at me like I was crazy. “There was always that risk.”

I stepped down a stair and locked eyes with the female, “IF He is hurt, this is on you. As your Queen...I will make sure you burn in hell.”

It was the first time I had stood up to her. This historian whom I held in such high regard, but also feared. I had accepted my fate.  Zeline released my arm. Her face gave away the terror she knew I would inflict. Nicaud stepped between us.

“This is not the time to throw petty threats,” he said looking me in the eyes.

“It is not a threat. It is a promise.”

“Where is she???”

The voice pulled my attention away. I quickly turned on my heel.  The motion threw me off balance and I gripped the banister. A cool hand latched onto my arm again as two others lifted me at the waist.

“Go!” Zeline urged as she and Nicaud helped me up the remaining stairs. When we reached the landing, they guided me gently, but quickly to the room where Harry laid.

“I can feel the rage you hold,” Ambrogio said as I made it to the doorway. “You would kill the man who gave you this life. The one who loved her first? The one she begged to save you?”

Neither of them acknowledged my presence. My heart finally felt whole. Harry was awake.

“You gave me this life? This curse?” Harry said angrily. His fangs were exposed, his eyes dark with rage.

“I am Ambrogio. Father of all Vampires. If this life is such a curse to you, then I shall take Selene and let you wither away from your broken heart!”

“You will not touch her!” Harry started across the room.

“Arketá!” I yelled at Ambrogio. I ran into the room, blocking Harry’s path. “Dostatochno,” I raised my hands in the air. (enough)

“He is fierce,” the hunter laughed behind me. “Even if he does not want this life.”

I ignored him and approached Harry with uncertainty. I had seen him angry, but not with this much rage rolling off of him. It frightened me. He appeared to be looking right through me.  Niall came to my side.

“H...look at her,” He yelled at his friend. “Look at her!” Harry turned toward his friend. “She is right in front of you! Or is your rage blinding you?”

“Uspokoysya,” I said softly in russian as I reached for Harry. When my hand made contact with the skin on his chest, I repeated it, “Uspokoysya.” (Calm yourself)  He recoiled for a second, before allowing me to touch him.

“This is the paidí who has loved you as I could not?” Ambrogio taunted behind me.

“Yes! Arketá!” I growled at him. He looked at me sheepishly. “Why must you anger him further?”