SAUDADE

Chapter 2

saudade

We drove as far as we could that night. As far as the impending sunset would allow.  Our driver pulled into the parking lot of a small, rundown motel around 4 am. Harry squeezed my hand before asking me to go with the man.

“Daria, Love? I need you to do me a favor and go with Jeffrey. We’ll need three rooms. Will you do that for me?” he said in his soothing accent.

I nodded obediently as Jeffrey opened the door for me. I struggled to keep up with him as he hurried to the lobby.

“You need to move faster. If the sun comes up, we’ll have huge problems on our hands,” the man said gruffly.

“Yeah, I understand, Sir,” I bit back picking up the pace.

“Cut the obedient crap...that was the old one’s way of doing things. It won’t get you very far with Harry.”

His words angered me causing me to pause in the doorway. I crossed my arms in front of myself and turned toward him.

“Mind your own business, driver.”

“I am minding my business. Go! We need to get this handled quickly,” he said placing his hand on my back and pushing gently. “We’ll discuss the rest of this after we’ve gotten them inside.”

I growled and turned toward the front desk. A small, older african american woman stood as I approached. She looked at Jeffrey first and then at me. Her eyes were piercing; as if she could see into my soul.

“Three rooms, north side of the building,” she said holding out the keys.

“How...” I started as she dropped the keys into my palm.

“Don’t be fooled by arrogance,” she smiled at me. “He knows what you are and will use it against you.”

“Who? What are you talking about?” I asked as Jeffrey pulled me by my coat sleeve.

“The one with the dark curls,” she said with a nod.

Harry?

I continued to stare at the woman as the man dragged me back to the car.
He shoved me into the backseat; the tires squealed loudly as he took off to the north side of the building.

“What’s wrong, pet?” Niall said from the seat behind me.

“That woman...we didn’t say anything. She just handed me three keys,” I mumbled looking at the items in my hand.

“Odd,” Louis commented as I looked up at the man driving. He glared at me through the rearview mirror.

“J...enough,” Harry growled next to me. 

“Alright, H.”

“How did she know we needed three rooms?” I asked Harry as we unloaded some of the bags.

“I don’t know, love.”

“She said something else...” I commented looking at him.

“I’m sure it’s nothing of any importance, Daria,” he said softly as he looked to the sky. “We need to hurry. The sun will rise soon.”

Niall and Liam grabbed their bags and headed off to the farthest room. I followed Harry to the room closest to the car. Jeffrey opened the door and smiled at the vampire next to me.

“I’ll take your bags, Harry,” he said reaching for the expensive leather duffels.

“I’ve got them. Take Daria’s. She’ll be staying in this room.”