Aceitação

The next few days were spent pouring over more of Glenne’s research.  She could see I was struggling so she went home and gathered everything she had.

“Daria, pet...” Niall spoke softly next to me.

“Yesh?” I asked around the cap of a highlighter in my mouth. The kitchen table was covered in books, notebooks, and Harry’s laptop.

“Do ye think...could I...” he stumbled over his words. 

I removed the cap and looked up at him, “What’s wrong?”

He sighed as he played with the side of his hair, “Can I talk to ya?”

The four of them had left me to my own devices. Glenne returning only when I’d call for her to ask a question. Louis would drop small meals and snacks on the table. Liam would check in just to make sure I was ok. This was Niall’s first appearance.

“Alright,” I said marking my spot in the book I had been looking through.  I pushed it away from me and motioned for him to sit. He pulled the chair out, turning it so he could lean on the back. He sat for a moment or two staring at me.

“What did you want to talk about?” I asked leaning on my arm, giving him my full attention.

He sighed and looked at the floor. “I wanted...I...Ye hurt us, lass.”

I knew this was coming.

“I know. I am truly sorry,” I said, shame coloring my face.

“Since we entered that house, ye took up a soft spot in our lives,” he said reaching for my hand. “Ye took care of us. Ye became a part of us.”

“Master...”

“Please...stop that. Don’t call us that. Victor wanted that. We never did,” his voice stern. “We knew ye were struggling. We tried our best to take care of ye as Harry asked. Even if he hadn’t told me to that night, I would have protected ye just the same.”

“You did. That’s what I held on to that night. You said you’d be back,” I nodded.

“When ye didn’t tell us what ye were planning; that ye were leaving...we felt like ye didn’t see that we would do anything for ye. It hurt to know ye didn’t trust us to let us in,” he sighed.

“I...”

“We would have gone anywhere...done anything to help ye. It killed us to see ye in so much pain. Ye wouldn’t let us in.”

All I could do was nod. I understood now just how much I’d hurt them. I was a part of their little “family” and I’d made them feel like they didn’t mean enough to me.

“Niall...each one of you...means so much. It wasn’t because I didn’t want to let you in.  I couldn’t. I was, and am still, dealing with everything I was told that night. I never meant to make any of you feel that way.  I missed him so much. I thought he was dead. I needed to try and come to terms with that. Between thinking he was gone and being told you’re the reincarnation of the Queen of Vampires...it’s a lot to handle. I felt I needed to do this by myself. Find out who I was...the truth. Can you see that?”

“Yes,” he nodded.

“I knew when I walked in that you were all hurt. I tried so hard to make it up to you three.”

“We weren’t fair to you,” he said shaking his head.

“No, I deserved it. You all have been my constant in this crazy life I’ve been leading the last few years. I should have taken a step back and looked at what I was doing to you by not letting you help me. You all protected me and saved my life...there’s so much I regret about those weeks. I can’t change it though. All I can do now is make sure that all of you know what you mean to me.  To let you be more than just my protectors while Harry is not here.”