Dearg-due

Chapter 3

Dearg-due

I wandered the neighborhood. The sun set and it grew cooler. I stumbled into a coffee shop to find a bathroom. After cleaning off the tear streaks from my face, I ordered a coffee. Finding a spot in the back, I pondered what I really wanted.

Did I want to continue living like this? Could I? Or should I stay and continue to hope that Harry would eventually show me that he loved me?

“There you are!”

“Go away,” I said softly.

“I’ve been looking everywhere for you. He’s worried sick,” Jeff said pulling out the chair across from me.

“Go back and tell him I’ll come back when and if I want to.”

“It doesn’t work like that, Daria and you know that.”

“Maybe I don’t want to go back. Has anyone thought of that?” I hissed at him.

“Daria...”

“Why should I go back? Where have you been anyway?”

“I’ve been around. If I don’t come back with you, he’ll kill me,” he whispered leaning toward me. “Just get in the car.”

“No.”

“There are things you need to know,” he said reaching for my hand. “Just come with me, alright?”

“Why should I trust you?”

“I know what’s going on...You’re in danger. There are people looking for you.”

“Why are they looking for me?”

“We shouldn’t talk about this here,” he said as he stood and reached for my hand. “Let me take you back. I’ll explain everything on the way.”

He took my hand and led me out to the familiar suv. He closed the door behind me before walking around the front of the car.

Deciding I wasn’t sure I wanted to know what was going on, I stayed quiet as Jeff drove. I knew he could tell I didn’t want to talk. He scowled at the road ahead of us.

When we returned to the house, I went straight to my bedroom and locked the door.

I sobbed as I slid to the floor in the dark room.

“You are not my ward,” he said; his voice low.

“Go away,” I said through my tears.

“I am here to protect you.”

I sighed, “You’ve made that crystal clear. Now leave me be.”

“Do you know how difficult it is? To not be able to hold you like I want to?”

“Well, you’ve certainly made it look easy,” I said, anger starting to well up instead of hurt.

“I know you’re angry and confused.”

“Yes, I’m angry! If I knew it would be like this, I would have stayed with Victor!”

In the months since we left New Orleans, none of us had mentioned his name. Victor had followed us for quite a while that night and then suddenly, the cadillac was gone.

“Do not say that!”

“Confused?” I continued, “Yes, I’m confused. I thought you loved me. That you wanted me with you! I didn’t expect to be left alone! It’s alright though...you’re protecting me, right? Protecting me from you, isn’t that what you said?”