six

one man drinking games | mayday parade

. . . 

I was sitting on the stone bench outside the small cottage that I shared with Clelia, my thoughts flirting from one thing to another.

It had been two moon cycles since my episode and the Raids were to take place the next night. I stayed out of Wselfwulf's way.

The pain in my heart built a little hut in a crevice and stayed there.

It didn't take a genius to figure out why my heart was physically hurting so much, or why my strength drastically decreased. I overheard some of the Tribes women whispering. Apparently physical hurting of the heart was a sign the wolf's health was deteriorating.

Ostensibly, if two wolves who were to be mated (wolves favored by the gods, specifically) decided to not pursue the companionship, they would internally decay. Unless one chanted the ritual and performed the ceremonial dance, the wolves in question would slowly die from within.

Wselfwulf (who knew what the ceremonial dance and ritual were) was too prideful to tolerate the performance, whereas it would take me months to learn each detail. I also didn't have a mother to teach me and it was tradition for the Matriarch of the family to educate her pups.

I was a Warrior; I'd endure.

"Cana!" I turned my head to see little Clelia making her way towards me.

"Yes, pup?" I inquired, smiling.

"Ulric, the Master of Arms has requested any and all Warriors to assemble in the training grounds." She recited, her voice excited, face flush. "Do you think it's about the Raids?"

"I have no doubt it is," I affirmed, standing. "Let me shift and you can climb on my back," I proposed. "We'll get to the training grounds faster that way." Grabbing a cloak and handing it to her, I began the transition from my human body into my wolf one. It was slow, painful, and almost fatal, but just for the freedom of being a wolf, I'd transition a hundred times.

Once a wolf transitioned, clothing the human body wore was ripped. Even though we were savages who killed without a second glance, our human bodies were seen as sacred objects. Which is why every wolf carried cloak with them, somewhere, somehow.

Clelia carefully climbed on my back, making sure to grab on tightly, but not too tight. I made sure she was comfortable before taking off.

I was one of the fastest Warriors (from the new generation) of the Tribe, my speed matched only by Wselfwulf. I didn't pride myself on my looks as I was a plain she-wolf. I prided myself on my strength and speed.

I got us both there swiftly and safely. As my wolf's senses were sharper than my human senses, I noted there was a large crowd of wolves in the training field, more than normal. Clelia got off me and I lightly nudged the cloak in her hand. She promptly wrapped it around my neck. Once I was properly covered, I transitioned back into my human form.

Clelia spotted some of her friends and silently asked permission to join them. I allowed her to go, so as long as I knew she was safe in this hectic place. 

Many Warriors were mingling with each other, waiting for the Elders. I was all alone now. The aura of the training grounds was mixed with anticipation and apprehension, yet I couldn't help but feel as if something was going to go awry.

"I told you not to shift into your wolf." I turned around to see Ulric standing behind me with his hands crossed across his broad torso.

I gave him a hesitant smile and opened my mouth to defend myself when-