seven

because of you | kelly clarkson

. . . 

I was the proverbial black sheep of the Tribe. The humiliation and pain of being scolded in front of my fellow Warriors was too much and I isolated myself.

My status as a seasoned, capable Warrior was compromised by Wolfric's harsh scolding and I hid myself in my cottage. Pride be damned.

I stayed out of Clelia's way as well. She didn't need to see me, the great Warrior succumb to her emotions.

I was in the middle of reading a book about different types of herbs and their functions when a hesitant knock on my door had me pausing. The scent of the wolf outside was unfamiliar to me, but uniquely female. I set the book aside and apprehensively walked towards the door.

Rolling my shoulders back, I shook my head lightly and plastered on a smile. Opening the door, I was perplexed to see a dainty, red headed she-wolf. She was shorter than me, her head reaching my shoulders and her eyes were a bright and striking brown. She had extremely pale skin, which made her freckles stand out more prominently.

By her build, I concluded she wasn't a Warrior. Plus, I didn't recall ever seeing her in the training grounds. This was a first- a she-wolf from the Tribe who, evidently in her prime, wasn't a Warrior. She didn't have the scent of someone who held great disdain for me, her aura calm.

My blank stare was seemingly unnerving to her as she slightly shrunk back. Her Wolf recognized mine as the more dominant one and she gulped visibly. Her actions shocked my out of my reverie and I unintentionally widened my eyes.

"I didn't mean to startle you," I softly began, quirking my lips into a small smile. "I understand I have exceptionally aggressive facial features, but I mean no harm to you."

Her aura was at once put at ease and she, too, smiled.

"Oh no," she began, her voice holding a quaint twinkle quality to it, almost like a fairy's. "On the contrary, I've always admired you, Warrior Cana."

I was surprised she knew who I was, yet I had no idea of her existence. That was unnerving to me as a Wolf of the Tribe, I should've known all of my Tribesmen and women. Internally noting down to familiarize myself with the (few) non-Warriors of the Tribe while the rest were on the Raids, I pursed my lips.

"I feel quite ashamed that you know my name, yet I do not know yours," I admitted and the she-wolf shook her head, disagreeing.

"Warrior Cana, please, you didn't need to know who I was," she quietly spoke. "I wanted to be like you, even though we are close in age. That is why I know of you."

"Regardless," I answered, feeling a bit flustered at her admission. "What is your name?"

"My name is Channon," she replied and I mouthed the word.

"That is a beautiful and strong name, Channon," I told her. "Would you like to come in?" She nodded in response and I opened the door wider for her. As she walked in, she curiously looked around my small (and messy) cottage. Obvious signs of a small pup occupying the space were present, as Clelia often forgot to clean up.

"Your cottage is very cozy," she commented and I hummed in response.

"It has the basic necessities," I supplied and gestured for her to sit on the couch. "Would you like anything to eat or drink?" I asked out of politeness.

She shook her head no, her thoughts occupied.

"Now then, what can I help you with," I gently asked her, as it was obvious she needed something. She looked surprised that I caught that and she stuttered for a moment.