two

i wanna be yours | arctic monkeys (cover)

. . . 

"Cana."

I ignored the calling of my name, instead focusing on evening my breathing instead. I was preparing my body for a style of fighting that was new to me, and wanted to be prepared as much as I could. Sitting with my legs crossed and my nose in the air as if I were in the body of my Wolf, I breathed.

"Cana," the tell tale rustle of clothing reached my ear. My ear twitched.

"You are too loud, young one," I quietly muttered, my voice as smooth as the dew that decorated the grass.

"But, Cana!" Came the annoyed whine of the pup and I sighed. Opening my eyes, I rolled my shoulders back and turned my head to the pup in question.

Clelia the Kind was a pup that I had... sort of taken under my wing. She was only nine summers old, and an orphan living in the Orphans' Tent like I did many summers ago. The death of her parents haunted me, and I strived to make her life better than mine was at that age.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" I softly smiled, holding my arms wide and she ran into the embrace, sitting down in my lap.

Holding me as tightly as her small hands could, she gripped me with a silent desperation. I furrowed my brows, she was acting different.

"Clelia," I cooed, "Pup, tell me what's wrong." She shook her head no in the crook of my neck. "I reek with the smell of the woods and you're willingly rubbing your wolf nose in my neck? Something's wrong, tell me, little one."

She hesitated.

"The boys said I couldn't train with them!"

Ah, so the problem surfaces.

"Did they have a reason for saying that?" I inquired, my voice light. I had to deal with this topic as delicately as possible, but Clelia was a Wolf, and just like the rest of the Tribe , she was a Warrior.

She answered, her words getting lose in the crook of my neck.

"Little one, I cannot understand you, please look at me when you speak."

Clelia let go, sitting back, her brown eyes glassy. "They said I was never going to be a good Warrior, and that I shouldn't even bother."

"Oh, pup," I cooed, smoothing her shoulder length tightly curled hair. "Ignore them. They're saying things like that because they're intimidated of your growth as a Warrior."

"But Cana!" She clenched her teeth. "They said it's no use if I can't even shift!"

"Listen to me, Clelia," I began, my voice strong. "Shifting is an important part of your training as a Warrior, but," I stressed the word, "transforming into your Wolf will do nothing if your human form isn't physically strong. So, training now is very important for you."

She looked away, tears glistening down her dark brown skin.

"You will go back tomorrow and practice during your normal time, okay?"

"Can you come with me?" She slowly asked, turning her head back to me and I nodded.

"I will make sure they do not say anything like that to you."

"But, they think girls shouldn't be Warriors in the first place, I don't know what they'll say to you."

I lightly laughed. "It's fine, pup. They won't hurt my feelings. Tell me, who's their teacher?"