(10-10-16)Creatures

My eyes shot open as the anxiety shot through me. The violent sound of the rain pounding on my roof and window didn't help with the fear acing through me. I had the most fucked up dream! Let my clarify something before I get into this dream, okay? I am by no means afraid of needles. That being said, lets get into the dream. I was in a dressing room in a theater. I was in a musical production just a few months before and it was the same dressing room that was in the dream.  

The entire room was all dark and dirty, dimly lit by flickering industrial lights. I walked up to the female lead role's station. There was girl sitting there. I didn't really get a good look at her, but I didn't recognize her. In front of her on the grimy counter, was an old grimy marker holder full of dirty syringes. Some of them had fluid in them, some didn't, but all of them were covered in muck and looked to be used. The girl sitting in front of the old box kept trying to find a vein with one of the dirty needles. I don't know why, but I grabbed a syringe myself and tried to do the same. Right as I found the vein, I woke up. 

I sat in my bed, surrounded by the darkness and reflected on my dream. The odd dream was the only thing running through my mind. I didn't want to go back to sleep because all I could see were those disgusting syringes, so I didn't. I just sat in my bed and tried to get my mind away from it. Whenever my mind shifted away from the thought, anxiety shot through me and I thought of the dream again. I tried to hum a little song to myself to drive my mind away from this. 

...I have longed for thy saving health, oh lord. Thy law is my delight. Is my delight, oh lord!...

It was an old hymnal my mom used to sing to me. After a few minutes, I could've swore I heard something. Have you ever had a cold and you can feel the air passing over built up mucus in the lower trachea? It was a sound similar to that. I stopped singing and listened for it again. I sat there for seemingly an eternity waiting for it to make another sound and that it did. I was already on edge, but I was sent into a panic. I didn't want to be too loud or anything of that sort, so I calmly tip toed out of the room into the kitchen were to door was. I calmly opened the kitchen door, trying as hard as I could to get the door to open without squeaking. I closed my eyes as I heard a loud screech come from the door. 

That same noise I had heard earlier was amplified and at a faster rate, sounding as if someone was breathing. If I was panicking before, you could only imagine how I was feeling now. I knew in the moment I was going to die. I was about to open my eyes, only because I wanted to see the creature that was to be the way I die, when a raspy voice from in front of me spoke. 

"Please, I'm not going to hurt you. I don't want you to be afraid. But please don't open your eyes. I'd hate for you too see me like this." How do I respond? A few minutes ago I didn't even know this creature existed. 

"Not to be rude, but what are you?" 

"You ever go to get a midnight snack, and you swear you see something in the corner of your eye in the darkness? You ever hear that sound as you're going to sleep? You ever just feel anxious, despite the fact that you know you know you shouldn't? You ever feel like you're being watched? That's me. I'm that feeling lurking in your gut that you fucked up."