(11-9-20) "Weird Day" (SLAM Poetry)

A/N: The prompt was the write SLAM Poetry. I ended up writing 3 to that's the next few chapters as well 

Every day at work for me is a "weird day."

Why? Well because every day for the past 5 months I've woken up at the same time, ate the same breakfast, and then proceeded with a day that I had already perfectly planned out the day before. I found comfort in the monotony and the predictability, and soon began cutting out every bit of unpredictability I could, even my friends. When you're a kid they teach you about how addictive drugs and alcohol are, but they never teach you about how addictive predictability and isolation are. When you're alone you never have to worry about being hurt. Every day was the same: predictable and lonely, and I was perfectly satisfied with that.

Unfortunately though, life doesn't stop for your desire to keep things predictable. Money was tight, like a rope wrapped around me keeping me from even breathing comfortably. So, I got a job to loosen the knot. A job is not predictable. Every day is a weird day because my routine was a ticking clock; a metronome that played to the beat of my perfectly planned out actions. A wrench was now thrown into the gears and I now had to learn how to do things at a different tempo every couple of minutes. Every day is a weird day because everyday I talk to people I've never talked to in my life and will probably never talk to again. Every day is a weird day because I've had to learn how to be around people again for the first time in months.

Every day is a weird day for me at work because I've lost my most prized possession. I'm an addict struggling with withdrawal from the drug that has destroyed my life in my past few months. Every day is a weird day because every day I work I'm not alone going through the motions of my preplanned mental map.

Every day at work for me is a weird day, and I wouldn't give them up for the world.