Chapter 38

"Darling!"

Nina's head jerked up to the sound of that, expecting the very worst but what met her gaze was even worse than that. Clad in a slinky shimmery pale beige floor length gown that would have rendered Ralph Lauren ashamed if it hadn't actually been his own creation.

As it were, the only person blushing with embarrassement was Nina herself. Attired as she was in her own creation, she felt awkwardly embarrassed to be seen so by Dash's glamorous mother.

Tall, thin and overly exquisite, there was no doubt to where Dash got his amazing good looks from.

"Diane, its good to see you," said Dash in an amazingly composed tone that drew Nina's shocked gaze. As far as she understood matters, Dash had not seen his mum in ages and yet he greeted her with equanimity. How did he do it? Or did he no longer feel anything? But Nina clearly remembered his days of anguish when his mother packed up and left. He could not have simply set it all aside, no matter how many years had passed since.

The very public greeting had clearly held everyones tongue. Indeed no more than simple pleasantries had been exchanged. Then they were all safely indoors and the moment of reckoning fell fast upon them. But a petit yet voluptuous blond stepped up to join their little intimate gathering. She looked oddly familiar to Nina and it didn't take her long to place her.

Catherine Carmichael was one of Dash's more accomplished past girlfriends.  Indeed Nina had heard more than once, praises over her prowess in the more carnal pursuits.

"Dash, darling, I am sure you remember Catherine, my date for the night," said Diane Arlington without batting an eye lid. It was then Nina suddenly recalled the spat of vicious temper that had accompanied Dash's revelation over his mother's new found sexual preferences.

But what drew Nina's disgust was noting the youthful age of her partner. Catherine was younger than Dash and herself even. She was certainly young enough to be Diane's daughter. Yet the tastefully applied botox and plastic surgery had certainly blessed Diane with a new lease on life. She certainly did not look old enough to be Dash's mother.

But she was his mother. And she was not impressed with his choice of bride.

The narrow eyed look Diane casted her way was clear enough indication of that. Through tight lipped smiles and controlled conversation, the small group managed to stir clear of disaster for all of an unexpected two minutes and then Diane Arlington had reached her limit.

Like a little porcelain pot placed on the stove, she was not only about to pop her lid and blow the whistle but also shatter to pieces for her efforts. The later would be a consequence of Dash's doing of course.

Nina held on to Dash's strong arm az he led her on through the crowded ballroom. The vast area was jam packed with sociolites and celebrities. But they parted in waves to Dash's approach. A billionaire was always respected, no matter how pompous the crowd.

Respected by all but his mother that is. And his not so eager bride to be.

Dash led them to a fairly secluded corner. A corner where words could be exchanged with minimal impact. Minimum impact of exposure, that is, there was no other guarantees to be had for Dash had quite a lot on his chest to let loose too.