Chapter 15

A few years ago...
"The gods aren't pleased with your actions," an airy voice hissed into the man's ear.
The man clutched his head and winced. "I didn't do anything wrong."
"Your gift was not meant for selfish deeds," the voice warned. "Don't you know selfish men aren't attractive?"
"I only wanted a little fun!" he whimpered, trying to shake the voice out of his head.
"You may have been blessed by Aphrodite, but now she brings you a curse." The wind howled eerily. "Nothing but love will fill the hole in your heart, and now, love you shall not have."
The wind died down, leaving the man trembling on the ground. He was left alone in a tv studio, everything looking grey except for the moon shining through the window.
A few tears hit the ground, before his sobs turned silent. In the ground settled a butterfly brooch, covered with dust and dirt.
He picked it up and wiped off the debris until it was gleaming clean. "Well then, Aphrodite may have taken away my love," he held it in the moonlight, "but now I have an opportunity to gain power." Taking the brooch, the man sashayed out of the studio with a sinister chuckle. "Time to prove gods aren't the only ones who are superior."

*•*•*

Present time...
For the last few days, Alya had been spamming Marinette with text messages to stay away from Paris, yet she had never responded. "Don't tell me Tibet is under siege too," Alya muttered as she sent another message.
"I'm sure they'll be fine," Nino patted her shoulder.
They were hiding out in an abandoned apartment, sealed off so that the black butterflies, or akumas, couldn't get in. Their classmates were also with them, each dealing with their fear in their own way.
Juleka and Rose sat on a couch, trying to lift each other's spirit in the dark times. "Ladybug and Chat Noir will come back to save us," Rose encouraged, trying to smile.
"But where have they been? What if Hawkmoth caught them by surprise first?" Alix sighed as she took Kim down in an arm wrestling contest.
"Damn!" Kim jerked back in surprise. "But I agree with her. They haven't shown up all week."
Max nodded in agreement.
Chloe sat by the dark window and sighed. She wasn't her usual cocky self, considering that she hadn't scoffed once ever since they had to hide out together. She hadn't even said anything along the lines of "If I were Ladybug I'd be out there saving people by now."
No, actually, she stared out the window, and watched the butterflies chased civilians one by one, and turning them into a villain, each with a different power.
"Chloe, are you okay?" Sabrina peeped, trying to look at her face.
Chloe turned away from her. "Leave me alone. Please."
Everyone in the room was suddenly quiet. That was the first time they had ever heard her say "Please."
Alya squinted and walked over to her. "Okay, what gives?"
"What do you mean?" Chloe glared at her.
"You haven't been acting like your bratty self all week. So clearly, something must be off," Alya pointed out.
All was quiet between them for a while.
"Am I really that bratty?" Chloe asked, barely audible.
"Honestly, yes. Have you not seen how you act towards Marinette?" Alya pointed out. "Not to mention how you've acted towards Nathaneal, Kim, Alix, me, and everyone in the class? Even Sabrina!"
Another moment of silence passed.
"So, what's really happening, Chloe?" she pressed, and sat down on a nearby chair.
Once again, silence.
"They're the citizens of my father's reign as mayor. And what's happening to them?" Chloe gestured out the window. "They're being attacked by a power crazy butterfly controlling man, and here I am, hiding away, like the selfish person you call me."
By now, there was no sound except for the screaming outside.
"Didn't think you'd care," Nathaneal scoffed from the back table.
"I didn't think I did either," she said with a sigh. "And now, Ladybug and Chat Noir are who knows where, I feel like I should be the one protecting and saving them. And yet.." she didn't bother to finish the sentence.
The moments of silence were starting to get eerie.
"Now that, I can't relate to," Alya scratched her head. "But if you feel that way, then maybe in the future, you can try to help out your city more instead of spoiling yourself. Because now," she gestured out the window, "Let's all admit it. No one knows how to beat all of these guys in one fell swoop."
Everyone nodded in unison, unknowingly making Chloe feel a little better.
"Come on, Chloe, you need to eat," Ivan motioned her over to the kitchen, where he was making some sandwiches.
She smiled lightly. They were all somewhat nice to her, she didn't know why she was mean to them in the first place.