Feel the Burn

Cover credits to weightingoId

(Gabrielle's POV)
Jack sits down at the table and hands me my coffee. "Decaf double shot espresso for the newly-single" Jack pokes at me. He invited me to coffee to make sure I was okay from my breakup with his brother.
"Shut up," I respond with a half smile.
"Hey, don't take this too hard. Please. My brother is just an ass and he doesn't deserve you."
"Thanks. I just can't believe he'd dump me. I thought he was better than that."
"He doesn't know what he feels, he was new to the whole dating thing."
"Yeah true."
"So anyways, lets talk about some upbeat stuff, how is soccer?" He asks with a smile.
"Pretty good, we are undefeated right now and I haven't let any goals in all season,"
"Dude that's awesome! You are gonna go pro no doubt."
"Haha thanks!" We continue to talk for an hour at the coffee shop before we leave and go to the park.
Jack and I walk for about a mile, talking and watching funny videos on our phone before we spot swings. Being the 5 year old I am, I pull him onto the swings.
"What are you eleven?" He asks.
"On a scale of 1-10 yeah," I respond sarcastically.
"Ok for real though, how are you?"
"I don't know. I mean it hurts a lot but I will be fine soon."
"Good."
We have a competition to see who could get the highest the fastest on the swing. He won. Just as our laughter comes to an end, my stomach drops as I see Kyndel's best friend Kyle approaching.
"Hey! Heard Kyndel finally dumped you. Finally he will shut up about how much he wants to leave your ass." He says as he cracks up.
"He talked about wanting to break up?" I question.
"Yeah for like the past 2 months." He remarks.
"Oh lovely" I say, tears welling up in my eyes. We only dated 3 months.
"Hey he finally took out the trash" he says, at this point literally laughing his ass off.
"Ok that's enough. Leave her alone. She doesn't deserve this. Now get out of my site before I get mad." Jack says as he rises from the swing.
"Haha you're funny. You think you're so tough. You're just a freshman little shit. I'm a junior. Do you really think you could do shit to me?" He laughs and just walks off. Jack follows him.
"Hey, Kyle!" Kyle turns around. Jack throws his fist at Kyle and hits him square in the jaw. Kyle laughs.
"I'm sorry. Did a fly just land on me?"
Kyle punches Jack on the nose. Blood drips from his nose and Kyle kicks him.
Jack falls to the ground. Just as Kyle raises his leg to kick him again I but in.
"Kyle. STOP!" I run over to Jack and stand infront of him. Instantly, I realized that was a mistake. His kick hits my shin and I instantly give shin guards more respect as I fall to the ground.
"You both are pathetic." Kyle says and leaves. He turns around when he's about 30 feet away.
"Oh and Gabrielle. I'm so terribly sorry for kicking you. You've had a rough enough day obviously. After all you got dumped bro!" He says with a sarcastic smug smile. As he leaves, I turn to Jack.
"Oh my god! Are you ok?" I ask him, panicking.
"Well nothing's broken. At least the day couldn't get any worse." He says. Just then. Go figure. It does. His phone rings.
"Hey mom." He says. He puts her on speaker.
You can hear his mom's tears running.
"Honey, we don't know what happened we barely got out. So much was ruined."
She begins to say.
"Mom, what's going on?" He asks nervously.
"Honey, half the house burned down, including our rooms. We can't stay at our house."
"Then where are you, me, Kyndel, Landon and dad gonna stay?"
"Well, two friends of ours are letting us stay with them. The Johansen's. Yeah and you're friends with their daughter, Gabrielle Johansen. Right?"
At that moment I black out.