Chapter 20

I wanted to know what was going on. I mean, missing the biggest game? I had to snoop. Hey, I gotta put what Ariel taught me to use. I slipped and pushed my way through the crowd of people until I made it to the empty part of the stands. This part hasn't been used forever. After the school was rebuilt, they kept this part to save money. Now, it's used for storage and the junior varsity locker rooms are down here. I heard the clicking of heels. Not ghosty's pacing, just normal walking. It paused than quickened in the other direction. It stopped again. I looked back and no one was there. I heard a ringtone. A ringtone that I knew anywhere. It was Sydney Rydell's ringtone. I went up the metal steps, expecting to see Sydney behind the pole. But no one was there.
"Come on! She's gonna see us." I heard someone say. There was only one place it could have came from. The little pathway between the old snack bars. I ran over there. I couldn't believe what I saw. It was terrible. Sydney Rydell kissed Luke smack on the lips. And the worst part was, he didn't even try to stop her. I felt the tears building up in my eyes. This couldn't be happening. Luke was cheating on me with Sydney! I stood there. I just stared at them wide eyed. But not much later, when they stopped, I was furious. Sydney smirked and raised an eyebrow. She was pretty much telling me that she enjoyed that so much and it was even better because I saw it. Luke had a sympathetic look on his face.
"Heidi, wait." He mumbled.
"I can't believe I even dated you! I'm glad I'm not anymore."
"He-"
"No! We're done! You can keep doing this, I don't care! Just &@$! Off!" I stormed away. It was probably best I bleeped out the swear word. I've never done that before. I felt so angry but so sad. I can't believe he would ever do that. Go behind my back and hang out with her, even kiss her. How shallow was he? Really, I want to know. I swerved my way through the crowds of people as the tears streamed freely down my face. My plan was to jump into the water and swim as far away from here as I can. After all, the beach was right in front of our school. I made it to the front courtyard. Dark and abandoned. I sprinted as quick as I can toward it. Nothing would stop me. 3, 2, 1, 0. The cool water rushed over me. The familiar tingling appeared in my legs. My tail was forming. I swam, swam as far away from the shore as I could. I stopped. I saw the perfect place. A beautiful little Cove. The walls were rocks stacked on top of each other, flowers and plants were all over the place, crystal clear water, and a tiny little water fall. I swam in, who wouldn't? The soft trickling of the water was very faint but, it seems to calm you and relaxes you. There was one thing I never noticed. The little opening on the other side.
"Are you a mermaid?" I turned around to see a little girl. She looked like she was only 6 or 7 years old. Her blonde curls only went to her shoulders and contrasted from her dark brown eyes. Her skin was pale and she had little red cheeks. Her turquoise dress went to her knees and had a starfish embroidered on the front pocket of the dress. She was wearing a big smile that was plastered across her face. It showed her missing one tooth in the front.
"I guess you could say that." I replied.
"Are to alright? You look sad."
"Well, its cause I am. I would explain it to you but you might not be old enough to understand it."
"Please, mommy and I watch Dance Moms and Catching Up With The Kardashian's. I understand more than what you'd think." She told me with seriousness in her voice.
"Well then, I guess you would understand. My boyfriend was cheating on me and I broke up with him. Worst part was, or was my biggest enemy he kissed."
"Got right to it, I like you. And wow. He must of been a jerk!" I laughed. I found it hysterical that a 6 year old was kind of like the mini version of Briar.
"Actually, he was pretty nice. I should know, I've liked him since 6th grade and knew him since kindergarten."
"Hmm. I should probably introduce myself, I'm Shelby."
"Heidi."
"Do you go to a mermaid school?"
"No, I go to Sweetwater High. It's a human school."
"I go to Bayside Elementary. It's pretty boring. We have to learn math."
"I hate math too. Wait til' you get to high school."
"Shelby, sweetie! Time to go to Teressa's house." Yelled her mom.
"I gotta go. Play date. Bye."
"Bye." Before I dove under she called my name.
"Will you ever come here again?"
"Most likely." She smiled and waved. I dove under. I gotta say, having a conversation with a 6 year old really brightens your mood. I swam back towards the shore. Just a hunch, but I think I'm gonna miss soccer.

Hey people. I hope that you liked that chapter. It was dramatic. As you can tell, this is where problems start. This was also a pretty quick chapter before school. But we're off tomorrow! Yay! The next chapter will probably be a flashback chapter for some reason but, you know it might not be. My original plans for this book were so different than what they are now. And Brayden? He will be mentioned more *wink wink*. And Shelby will come around again too. So with that said, I hope that you enjoyed this chapter and thanks for reading. Bye!
~rainbowmorkie