Chapter 8

"It's okay Josh, it's okay." Jen's sweet voice made me feel a little bit better. She bends over and hugs me, then we kiss for what seemed like a decade. She pulls away and sits on the edge of the bed.

"You're going to be in a wheelchair and I'll help you, don't worry."

Later on that night, they put me in my wheelchair and Jen push me outside to her car. She helped me get out of the wheelchair and guides me into her car.

"So, you wanna go back home now?"

"No. I'll be fine at yours."

"Are you sure? I think your parents might get worried."

"IF THEY WERE WORRIED, THEY WOULD HAVE CAME AND VISITED ME!" I yelled so loud I think I scared her.

"I'm sorry Jen, I'm just.... I just don't know what I'll do with my life now."

"It's gonna be okay, I'll help you." She replies gently. She starts the engine and drives off.

When the car stops, I wait until she opens the door to let me out. She helps me into my wheelchair and pushes me into her house, and into a room. She closes the door behind her and sits in a chair next to me.

"Okay, so let's see." I hear papers ruffle, probably looking for something.

"So you're on a basketball team right?"

"Yeah."

After 10 minuets of just papers ruffling and her writing, I can't stand it anymore.

"Will you just tell me what you're doing?" I demand.

"Okay, I made a list of things you will have to do, stuff you will need help on, and things you will have to stop or quit.

"Great. I can't wait to hear the things I'm going to have to quit." I grumble.

"Okay, well you need to quit your basketball team, running, football, ........." She goes on but I block her out. I can't bear listening to this anymore.