Chapter 11

When Jen pulls into the driveway, I get ready to leave. I train myself to listen to the car tires rub against the gravel so I can know when we get home. I pull open the door, I have been in that car so many times I learned to memorize where the handle was.

"Wow, you're getting good at this Josh, you're getting out of the car before me!"

"Yeah. Thanks."

I crutch towards the front steps, and I hoped over the first step, then the second, and the third. I took the keys out of my pocket and jammed it into the lock. As I walk into the house, I slam my left hip on the counter next to me.

"Ow." I mumbled bitterly as I fall to the ground landing on my hurt leg.

"Josh! Are you okay?" Jen runs after me.

"Yeah. I slammed into that counter over there. Ow, that hurt." I pull myself up with Jen's help. I groan as I put pressure on my left leg.

Jen guides me into my room and tells me I should get some sleep. I drift off to sleep as soon as I hit the pillow.

The next morning, I think, I wake up with my left hip sore from the counter accident yesterday. I moan with pain as I fall off the bed. Just when I was going to throw my crutches across the room, Jen came in.

"Josh, do you want help?"

"No it's fine."

She helps me get dressed, even though I said I didn't need any help. She guides me into the kitchen and makes breakfast for us.

"Josh, I don't think it's safe for me to leave you alone until you can go around the whole entire first floor without banging into anything."

"I can do that!" I reply offended.

"Okay let's see you do it, but don't hurt yourself."

I push myself up and grab my crutches. I start off on the right side, then across the room. So far so good, I crutch around the whole first floor without any trouble. Just as I was about to finish, I jammed my hurt leg into the coffee table and toppled over it.

"Ugh, that doesn't count." I said as I tried to get up. Jen steadies me just as I fell again.

"Josh, stop. I can't leave you alone." She guides me into the living room and sits me on the couch. She turns on the TV and flips through the channels until she got to the sports channel

"I want you to stay here, don't go anywhere. I'm going to go buy some food, but I'll be right back. Don't get up. I repeat DO NOT GO ANYWHERE!" She sounds serious.

"Fine. I'll stay here until you get back."