Chapter 14

-3 months later-

"3, 45!" I turn my body and throw exactly there, meaning turn 3 'o clock, then shoot 45 degrees up. I hear the buzzer buzz and shouts of excitement surrounds me.

"You did it man, we won!"

I smile as I walk over to the bench. I never expected myself to play basketball ever again, but here I am now winning.

Jen pulls the wheelchair next to me and I sit in it. The doctor says that if I run with my leg brace on, right after it I have to sit for the next 24 hours. I pull off my leg brace and throw it into the bag attached to the back of the wheelchair seat.

"Good job today! You were amazing!"

"Thanks, thanks for coming too."

"Of course I came! Who would bring your wheelchair and who would drive you home?"

"That's what I'm thanking you for, thanks for everything."

Jen pushes me outside and helps me into the car. We get home and I pull the door open, and Jen helps me into my wheelchair again. She pushes me through the back door so I wouldn't have to hop up the steps through the front door.

"So, what are you going to do today?"

"I dunno." I frown. "What can I do?"

"Well, you can practice reading. I'll write down something for you."

She pulls out a piece of paper and scribbles down something, then she hands it over to me. I run my fingers along the edge of the paper, finding the thicker edge, meaning that's the top of the page. Then I brush my fingers down the paper, left to right, feeling the pen marks. I read it out loud.

"Josh, you are doing well, I hope you can write also. I have something very special just for you. Happy birthday! Love Jen💗"

I smile, I almost forgot that today is my birthday! Jen hands me over a walking stick.

"So you won't trip over anything."

"Thank you Jen! I love you too."

I push myself up to hug her, and she wraps her arms around me. Her mouth reaches mine and we stay in silence.

"Josh, I have somewhere to bring you. Let's get in the car."

I sit back down And wheel out the back door and up the driveway. Jen helps me into the car and starts the engine.