Chapter 17 (VERY short)

I start by taking deep breaths. Slowly at first, but then it adapts into a chorus of my groans of 'no, no' while punching my fists together.

"Edward-" Alice begins, taking a step towards me. "We can't be sure-"

I stop her and sharply stand up.

"Im sure, Alice" I spit angrily, making my way past her. "I knew it all along. The anaphylactic shocks say it!"

I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a curse. At least nobody else is in danger, at least it's me. But how- how can this be happening!? I knew she was evil- I know she is evil. But I never expected this.

Alice turns to look at my back. Her mind reads that she thinks I'm right. I hear her straining to find my future even though it's impossible since Rise has been here, and only thinking up gruesome strategies Rise might finish me off.

"Could you at least try to hide your thoughts?" I spit.

She sighs.

"Edward, are you going to kill her?" She says, as she knows me too well.

I shrug, frustrated and quick.

"I can't" I say. "But I can tell Renesmé"

Alice looks confused. The voices in my head say 'Edward, that's cruel'

"Edward-" She begins.

"Alice!" I cut her off. "It's the only way"

I start to bound my way to Nessie, when Alice's strong hands grip me.

"Edward, this isn't safe. If Nessie knows Rise is going to kill you, then it'll break her. Piece..by piece" She says, darkly.

I let out a shaky breath. She's right.

"You don't know what it's like to be a girl, and vampire or not, I do- and I know that if I had to choose between Jasper and my own baby- even though it's slightly different as Jaspers my partner- it would crush me" She finishes, before walking off.

I close my eyes. I know I can't do that to Renesmé. I can't physically sit by her and say that she has to choose between imprinter and daughter. Alice is right. It would tear her apart. Kill her, possibly. I flex my shoulders, and turn to Alice.

"You're right" I say, slowly. "But then what do we do?"

I wait for an answer, but she's wearing one of those 'you're not going to like the answer' looks. I sigh and read her mind, which says that she thinks we'll have to just 'wait and see'. A wave of hot anger rushes through me.

"Alice" I say, seriously and sternly. "You really think just 'sitting and waiting' is the best option!?"

She continues to look at me.

"No way" I simply say. "I'm either telling Jacob, or killing Rise. I am not going to fall for that stupid 'tactic' again!"
Alice shakes her head, slowly.

"You can't, Edward" She says.

"Why?" I question, agitated.

There's a silence, and I see her hesitation. Her mind reads nothing. She's hiding something from me.

"Because, Edward-" She moaned. "Because it's too late"