green eyes

She's sitting casually at the café table, checking her messages on her phone. You'd guess her to be in her mid-thirties, somewhat plain in appearance. Not someone you'd ever look twice at.

But if you did look twice, you would notice her eyes.

Wide with shock. An astonishing shade of green. How could you not have seen it before? She has the most beautiful eyes you've ever seen.

She's staring at her phone. You realize she hasn't moved since the messages started popping up on her screen. Short messages, with little punctuation, because the man doesn't use emojis as liberally as most.

Slowly, she pushes her chair back from the table, eyes still fixed on the screen. She stands up clumsily, only half paying attention to where her limbs are. In a trance, she moves towards the door. Her tea sits forgotten on the table behind yours.

Her thumb slides along the screen, hesitantly choosing letters, but the message remains unfinished. When the door opens, she raises those enormous green eyes to the person walking in.

He's wearing a military pilot's uniform, cap askew on his dark hair. The grin on his face is earsplitting. And she is wrapped in his arms, burying her face in his chest. He squeezes her tight, his smile disappearing into her hair, whispering softly to her.

Her shoulders heave, and you're not sure if she's laughing or crying. It's a mixture of both.

His hands move to her face, gently tipping it up. He brushes away her tears, still grinning, and you know he's always adored her eyes.

Steam is rising slowly, gracefully, from the untouched cup of tea behind you.

—midnight thoughts
©️ 2016