Chapter 6 - On The Dayshift

Jake's birthday was coming up. He was turning 6 years old. On October 16th, Jake would be six. But Jake was all but excited for his party.

Matt had said that since Nate worked at Freddy's, they were getting a discount, when in reality, it was Matt himself that got the discount, but his family didn't know that. Besides, as soon as the kids were old enough, they had every single birthday at Freddy's, so they could be fine.

Unfortunately, with all the bullying Jake was going through, he didn't actually say who he wanted to invite to his party. Stephanie did her best to guess, but all she could get was Peyton, Libby, and Luke. When she asked Nate who they usually played with at school, Nate listed the other "Cool Kids," believing that Jake was also part of the group.

It was the night before the party, and Matt had been on his secret job for 4 weeks now. Even though by that point, Nate had figured everything out, he still liked talking to the mysterious "Phone Guy."

Even though both of them laughed at the stupid alias, Nate understood that he didn't want him to know his real name. Nate was still curious what he looked like, though.

Their boss noticed that Matt had a tendency to calm down not just Nate, but all the employees that were stuck on the night shift, so Matt eventually became the messenger between the higher ups and the night guards.

But on the night before the party, Matt knew the "party" he was told to talk about.

From the room beside the office, Matt called the phone, as Nate picked it up. "Uh, Hello? Hello, Hello?" Matt had refined the voice changer, making it sound smoother and more like a human voice. Over the phone, it was a little scratchy and of bad quality, but Nate blamed that on the phone.

"I'm here." Nate said, sitting down and pulling up the cameras.

"So, hey, they want you to take the dayshift. Just for one day. We have a party tommorrow, and one guy had an emergency." Matt explained.

"What happened?" Asked Nate.

"I dunno, something about cheese and four chickens. I didn't really listen, I'll admit. But you think you can do it?" Asked Matt.

"Of course. Is the party for a kid named Jake, by the way?"

"Let me see." Matt paused, pretending to check something. Of course he already knew, it was his own kid. "Yeah, looks like it."

"I'm going to that party anyway. My son was invited. So what exactly do I have to do on the dayshift?" Asked Nate.

"Just watch the younger kids. Like a paid babysitter or something." Matt shrugged behind the wall.

"Sounds reasonable." Nate said with a slight smile.

Matt was confident that Nate could take care of it. I mean, other than Steph, there is no one I would trust with my child more than Nate.