Chapter 8 - The Second Snapping

It had been one month since Jake had died. All charges against anyone had been dropped, considering that Matt now owned the place that could be blamed.

Peyton became cold and distant, completely isolated from society. Libby was also incredibly sad, but also angry at Peyton. Because she was so little, she was able to get over her brothers death quickly, but Peyton, feeling responsible, couldn't get over it.

The funeral was fairly routine. It passed from everyone's memories quickly.

But the worst part was Matt. At least for Stephanie. For some reason, Matt couldn't turn down the offer to take over Freddy's. Stephanie lost it when he wasn't sure. The place resulted in the death of their son, how could he he hesitant to leave it in the dust? One day, she had finally had enough. She couldn't take it anymore.

She met Matt at the kitchen table, ready to give him one last chance. "Have you decided yet?" She asked.

"I-I'm sorry, it's just... I feel a connection to that place." Matt stared at the e-mail.

"Of course you feel a connection, it's where your son died." She crossed her arms angrily. "Matt..." Matt looked up to meet her eyes. Stephanie took a deep breath before pulling a bunch of papers out of her purse. "Sign here." She pointed to an empty spot on the form.

"No..." Matt's eyes went wide.

"I'm sorry, Matthew. I want a divorce." She said, almost sadly.

"Why? I know, I messed up, but-" Matt took her hand, but she pulled away.

"That place killed our son, and now you own it. I'm not going to be married to a murderer." She said. "Please."

Silently, Matt signed the paper. "I'm so sorry." She said. She took the papers and put them back in her purse.

"What... what was the agreement abut the kids? You kind of sprung this on me." He asked.

"I'm starting over, Matt. I want to forget about this. You and Libby don't seem to be bothered by this, but Peyton and I are. So I'm taking Peyton. You are allowed to see him, legally, but I am asking you not to. I want you to leave us alone. Peyton and I are going to start again." She explained.

*BTW, I know Steph would never act like this, but PLOT, okay?*

Steph took her purse, as well as Peyton's hand. "We'll be back in a little while, but after that, we are not coming back." Peyton didn't speak.

Stephanie looked behind her, taking one last look at Matt, before closing the door behind her.

And that was when Matt crossed the point of no return.