Part 11

*

It felt like the wind was knocked out of me as I listened to that voice I had heard so many times before this. We had no idea coming into this who the other opening band was on this tour, but now I knew. I could fell my knees start to buckle as we got closer and closer to the side of the stage. My eyes closed tightly as we stood there listening to their sound check. What had I just gotten myself into?

"Is that-"

"Yes." I cut Jay off before he could even finish his question.

"Lennox?"

I looked over at him, still not being able to breathe properly. "I can't do this."

Maybe they wouldn't know who I was. Maybe they wouldn't recognize me. I've change a lot since the last time they saw me. My hair was longer and styled differently, my clothing style has change slightly too. There was no way they would remember.

I hid my face as they walked by and quickly walked out onto the stage that I would call my home for just a short period of time.

Sound check went good and soon I found myself in my bunk with my headphones blasting the first artist I clicked on. My mind raced with the good memories of my days in New Jersey. I shut my eyes tightly trying to focus on the events that were to happen in just a few hours.

***

"How are you feeling?"

I looked up at Jay and took the time to notice that my hands were shaking as I tried to tune my bass. I let it rest against my knees as I clenched my fists and shook them to try and stop the shaking, but it didn't really seem to have an effect.

"Not too well."

"Do you want to leave?" He asked seriously.

"What does that even mean?" I stared up at him confused, completely thrown by his question.

"It means do you not want to do this?"

I glared up at him. "Of course I don't want to do this... but I don't really have a choice."

"You could walk out right now and I wouldn't even be mad." Jay looked down at me with sympathetic eyes.

"No, I need to face them. I need to do this." I shook my head after taking a few calming breathes.

He nodded in understanding as a guy with a clipboard and a headset walked into the room. "5 minutes! Head for the stage now."

I picked up my bass and followed Jay out of our dressing room and down the long hallway that led to the back stage area. The place was buzzing with people, everyone preparing for the first band to hit the stage. As we walked into the open area, my eyes instantly found there way to the group of people that stood near a bunch of equipment, but tried to get myself into the zone.

"Lennox?"

His voice was so familiar and it sent unnerving chills through my body. I turned for only a second to look into his wide hazel eyes before I stepped out onto the stage to face the bright lights and crowds of people screaming their heads off.