Remembering

When Night Falls Chapter 12:

Remembering

I dreamt I was seven years old again. It was the night of father's disappearance. It was raining hard that night and my mother was brushing my hair by the fireplace. The news was playing. They said there was going to be a thunderstorm and that everyone should stay in their houses. Then the door to the house bursts open revealing my dad all soaking wet from the rain.

"Daddy!" I yell, my long curly blonde hair trailing behind me. I jump into his arms as he kisses my head.

"How's my favorite little girl?" He asks before setting me down, pecking my mom on the cheek.

"Good. Daddy did you bring it?" I asked. My eyes twinkling. He grinned.

"Of course, sweet heart." He said, pulling out the necklace I had been waiting for. It was a late birthday gift because he had it specially made for me. It was shaped like a snowflake and it was sliver. Inside was a picture of me, him and my mom with the words to the side saying:

"As long as you have this, you'll always be safe." I close the locket, smiling.

"Thank you, daddy. It's beautiful." I say giving him a small hug.

"Your welcome." He says, before he starts talking quietly to my mom. I sit on the couch, twirling the locket in my tiny hands. I smile as it gleams and shines. The rest of the night went by quickly. We ate dinner and then drank hot chocolate by the fireplace. I could tell something was wrong but I didn't know what. I started to yawn and my eyelids started to get heavy.

"Uh oh. Looks like somebody's sleepy." My dad says, scooping me up in his arms, carrying me to my room. He places me on my bed and switches on my nightlight. He pulls the covers over me, tucking me in.

"Now Lyric, daddy has to leave for awhile but he'll be back soon. You have to promise to take care of mommy for me." He says. My little eyes started to form with tears.

"No daddy. You can't leave." I say, about to cry. He caressed my cheek and smoothed my hair. He kisses my forehead.

"I'll be back. Don't worry. Promise to take care of mommy for me, okay muffin?" He asked me. I nod as a tear slips down my cheek. He wipes it away, quickly. He squeezes my hand as he starts to walk out the door.

"Daddy, wait!" I call. He stops and turns around. I sit up, removing the locket from my neck. I hand it to him.

"So nothing will happen to you" I say. He smiles as a few tears fall from his eyes.

"I love you." He says.

"I love you too, daddy." I say. I lie back down and turn over just as he leaves my room. That was the last time I ever saw him again.

I wake up, breathing heavily and my back and neck was sticky with sweat. I look at the clock. 11:09 p.m. I had been out for awhile. My heart ached for my father but I knew he had died long ago. At least that's what my mother told me. I remember crying for days. My dad was someone I had loved more than anything. The news was like a stab to the heart. I remember the day after my dad left, I began to see my mother change. There would be days where she didn't get out outta bed. She lost attention in me slowly and then the sickness happened. She used most of her years to make up for the time she had spent distancing herself from me. After she died, I died too. There was nothing left for me to wake up too but beatings and bruises for the next years of my life. Now I had nobody. I sat on my bed and starting crying some more until I heard a knock on my door. I sniffed wiping my nose and eyes and walking towards my door. I peeked and saw a boy about 17 or 18 standing there. He had on sweatpants and a wife beater. His hair was light brown and wavy but it was tossed astray all over his head. His deep brown eyes looked back at me through the peephole and I took a step back.

"I, um heard you crying. I wanted to make sure you were okay. Can I come in?" He asked. I unlocked the door and opened it. He was cute and stalky looking but he wasn't strong and masculine like Kai was built.

"Hi, I'm Chance. And you are?" He asks, smiling at me.

"Lyric." I say.

"Your too beautiful to be crying, Lyric. What's wrong?" He says, stepping in my room. I close the door behind him.

"I was thinking about my parents. I miss them." I say. He nods as though he understands.

"Why don't you go see them?" He asks. I sigh, heavily.

"Their dead. I'm all alone. No friends or family." I say.

"I'm sorry. I'll be your friend, Lyric. My parents are dead too. I know how you feel." Chance says, touching my hand. I give him a small smile as I wipe the remaining tears from my eyes. I nod.

"Ok." I say. He smiles and opens the door as he's walking out.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning then." He says, before leaving toward his room. I close my door and switch off my light. I lie across my bed  and closed my eyes, I try and think of where such a sweet guy could come from.