Birthdays and Mates

When Night Falls Chapter 17:

Birthdays and Mates (Lyric's Pov)

Two weeks had passed since the Weston's pool party and the incident with Kai and Chance. After that day, I have avoiding any communication with Kai Connors. He had tried to but I had refused. I still talk to Leighton and Weston from time to time because it was hard to find one of them without the other being right there. They were mates and they were in love. Leighton wouldn't recognize him until her birthday in a week or so but I knew she already knew. After my first four classes, I had lunch. I sat with the twins, Leighton, Weston, and Chris( Who is Avery's mate as of a couple of days ago). Today we were eating pizza for lunch. Kai had went somewhere with Kevin and Calvin from what Weston told me.

"Guess what?" Weston says, taking a bite out of his slice of pepperoni pizza. We all look up interested in what he had to say.

"Huh?" Chris asks playing in Avery's curly red hair.

"Tomorrow's Kai's birthday." He announced. I dropped my pizza back on my tray. Leighton waved her hand, swallowing her juice she was drinking.

"Well duh. I already knew that. I'm his blood sister. It's always been January, 7th." She said, unsurprised.

"What is he gonna do?" Asked Aubrey. Weston shrugs and finishes off the last of his pizza.

"Well you know it's the day he finds his mate so really told me he wanted to keep it chill. He said he's not reporting for classes until lunch time. Tomorrows also the day his uncle tells him the full story on how his parents died." He said. Avery gasps a little.

"That's major" she adds. Weston nods.

"I suppose Demetrius doesn't want me to know until my 18th birthday." Leighton huffs, crossing her arms. Weston's puts a kiss on her cheek and she giggles, pushing him away playfully.

 I wonder who Kai's mate is. I know for a fact it couldn't be me. It's probably that slut Lacey he's been hanging around for the past 2 weeks. I hated that attention whore. She would just sit in class and giggle at anything Kai said and she flirts with him the whole lunch period but I wasn't jealous. Was I ? I erased the thought out of my head. I turn my head to see Kai walking in with Lacey King on his arm and Kevin and Calvin on his side. Her strawberry blonde hair was trailing behind her effortlessly and her sparkling green eyes staring up at him, smiling. Lacey King was one of the more beautiful girls in the school besides Leighton. I know a few people in my study hall who have a crush on her and they talk about her everyday from what she's wearing to the shoes on her feet. Lacey wasn't all that mean but she was Girl Scout cookie nice either. It was almost like she could be a bitch if she wanted but she didn't have to to be the most envied girl in school. Today she was wearing a low cut pink blouse showing off her D-cups and a white mini skirt showing off her long tan legs. She seemed so interested in what Kai was saying in her ear.

"You know they go out now, right?" Weston says. I felt as if a knife had been ripped through my heart and then burned. I fought to show any feelings whatsoever but it was kind of hard. I fell for Kai too but Lacey was good enough to get him. I hated her even more now.

"Really? Urgh. She's such an attention seeker!" Leighton scoffed. I, immediately loved her for that comment.

"Yeah? But I heard she was pretty good in bed well at least from what Kai tells me." Chris says laughing as he pounds Weston's fist against his. Leighton rolled her eyes.

"What a slut! They've probably only been going out for what a week?" Aubrey says, shaking her head.

"Two" Weston corrected. Leighton shakes her head in disgust. So Kai had slept with her? My heart sunk to my stomach. How could he?! I fight the tears forming in my eyes.