The Funeral

When Night Falls Chapter 13:

The funeral (Kai's Pov)

After breaking up with Lyric, I headed to my uncle's office. They had laid Christine's body out on the table, examining it.

"We all know how she died, correct?" Demetrius said, turning her cheek over, revealing the werewolf mark.

"Poison claw. The only thing strong enough to kill a werewolf." I stated. Demetrius nodded.

"Indeed. But the real question is who left the mark and why?" He asked.

"I don't think Christine knew she was a werewolf. If she did, she would have shifted. " Weston says.

"Precisely. Her parents kept it hidden from her. They didn't want her involved." Demetrius says.

"How did you know, uncle?" I ask.

"I was very close to her parents. We were from the same pack years ago. After your parents died, I left the pack to take care of you and Leighton. I remember them telling me before I left, that they knew something was gonna happen to them. Our alpha was far from understanding. He was ruthless and mean. He didn't care about anyone but himself. He didn't look out for what was best for the pack. I remember Christine's mother being pregnant and saying she was in danger. I promised to do ever thing to protect them. A few months after I left, Christine's mother, Darcy gave birth and she contacted me saying she needed a place to hide. That he was after them. I hid them in a cottage along with Kelly's parents for about 12 years until he found them. The night before they disappeared they told me to take care of their girls and that they didn't want them to ever find out what they were. I promised. They were found dead three nights later. I went back for the girls but they were no where to be found. I finally found them years later and brought them back here. They don't remember me and I wouldn't expect them too. They suffered skull fractures which caused their amnesia. Slowly they started regaining all their memories back but me. I think it would be better off that way anyway. The less they know, the better." He finished.

"You kept it hidden from them all these years?" Kevin asked.

"I made a promise to her parents for them not to live this lifestyle. That's a promise I have to keep." Demetrius says.

"What about Kelly's shift?" I ask.

"We stop it." He says.

"It's forbidden to stop a werewolf shift. Only under extreme conditions is it allowed. It has to be approved by the consul." Weston says. Demetrius reached in his drawer pulling out a white envelope with a stamp seal.

"Already did." He says before placing it back.

"We can't. It is even more painful then going threw the shift." Chris says. Demetrius runs a hand through his hair, breathing out a breath.

"I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it wasn't going to protect her." He says, calmly. Demetrius stands up, smoothing his suit.

"Now run along. I have to prepare for a funeral." Demetrius says, ushering us out of his office. We all leave as he shuts the door behind us.

"We can't let him. It's Kelly's choice." Chris says. I shrug. There was one thing I had learned over the years and that was never to defy my uncle. He may appear nice but if you cross him, you will lose your life.

"It's best if we leave it alone. Maybe we should go check on Calvin." I suggest, walking down to the infirmary. They follow me as we approach the door. Jarvis stood at the counter with a needle in his hand.

"Ahh Kai. What brings you down here?" Jarvis asks, tapping the needle with his two fingers.

"I came to check on Calvin." I say. He walks over to the cot where a sleeping Kelly lay. He inserted the needle in her drip. I gave him a look.