Prelogue

The city lay in chilling silence. Sounds of wailing and dying and pain were gone now that the people were safely aboard the floating airbase. The atmosphere began to thin out as the city; my city, ascended towards the violet bruised sky.

Clouds eventually flooded the streets and the disfigured rubbles of building. I stayed in the bus, looking out the window of my beloved neighbourhood coated in white ethereal mist, and for a second I believed I had died and arrived at the gates of heaven.

I half-expected my dead brother Pietro to materialise from the mist, scoop me up, and reunite us with our parents. Maybe we could all finish our dinner at the flat we had grown up in, forever trapped in the simple happiness of the moment before our lives were torn apart. My mothers cheeks creased in a smile and my father berating Pietro for not finishing his vegetables, yet ruffling his dirty blonde hair in affection. My deepest worries being nothing more than the homework that was due tomorrow.

If this was death, I welcome it with every fibre of my being.

Suddenly the world shook. 'No' I remember thinking. 'Starks bombs cannot affect the heavens'. The ground underneath me shook again, and I was back in the dented school bus, accompanied by a lifeless body of Ultron's minion.

The city began its descent. The clouds whooshed towards the sky, and I felt my stomach roll. Objects floated around me, and I began to float too. I clamped my eyes shut, grabbing onto the seat handles to anchor myself in place. 'Please don't let this hurt.'

I could hear the chaos of destructions. Chunks of buildings ripped off, cement and plumbing cracked deafeningly, and the wind screamed against the increasing acceleration, filling the air with thick dust that burned my nostrils. I felt lightheaded, and thought that was convenient. Perhaps the end won't hurt if I lost consciousness.

I distinctly heard metal screeching above me, and I imagined that the roof of the bus was being ripped off. Suddenly, powerful arms wrapped around me, lifting me to a cradle.

"Pietro?" I murmured, and my heart filled with light. I smiled for the first time in months, tears leaking through closed eyes. That did not hurt at all.

My saviour did not speak for a moment. "I'm afraid not." they replied, and my heart plunged into the abyss.

I forced my eyelids open to peer at them through the dust. Mechanical blue eyes stared back, analysing me for signs of injury.

It was him. The Vision, the omnipotent being. His mind was overflowing with relief when he realised he found me, and I stayed in his head to avoid the darkness in mine. He glanced at my arm, which was still holding on to the seat handle tightly. I sobbed, unwinding my fingers, betraying my family by choosing Life.

He held me as close to his body as possible, to make us a smaller target, and looked up to the sky, searching for a way out. His gold cloak billowed behind him, and with one sweep of his arm, the fine material covered me, protecting me from the biting dust.

He took off, weaving through the floating rubble expertly until we reached clean, unpolluted sky.

I heard the unmistakable noise of my city exploding below me, hitting the ocean in fragments of my broken heart.