CHAPTER 1- Freshman Year

modern day| Brooklyn, NY

Mary, Mark's mother slowly opened the curtains, letting a sliver of sunlight filter into the room. "Arise and shine, mi Rayo de sol!" she said, her voice gentle but firm.

 "Arise and shine, mi Rayo de sol!" she said, her voice gentle but firm

Mary was insistent, and she continued to coax him out of bed. "Come on, lazybones," she teased. "It's a beautiful day outside, and we have so much to do!"

Despite his initial reluctance, Mark couldn't help but smile at Mary's enthusiasm. She always had a way of making even the most mundane activities feel like an adventure.

As he groggily woke up, he turned to check the time. "What time is it?" he asked, his voice thick with sleep.

"It's 10 am," Mary replied, her tone indicating that she thought he was being lazy.

"10??" he exclaimed, jumping out of bed and staring at his alarm clock in disbelief.

"Fuck!"

"Language!" his mum chided him from the doorway.

Realizing that he was running late, he scrambled to find something to wear. Grabbing a t-shirt off the floor, he gave it a quick sniff before deciding it was good enough. Mary wrinkled her nose in disgust, but he ignored her as he reached for his favorite pants on the other side of the bed.

But as he stretched out to grab them, he paused. There was something he had forgotten, something important. What was it? As he struggled to remember, his mum sighed and shook her head. It seemed like her son was always forgetting something.

"What?"

Mark groaned. "What?" he asked irritably.

"Why are you standing there staring at me? It's weird," he added.

"I can't watch my son dress up for his first year in college?" Mark's mother squinted and shook her head in disapproval.

"No, I'm not 12, mum. Get out. And shut the door, please? Thank you," he replied, slightly annoyed.

"Whatever, breakfast's downstairs. Don't let it get cold," his mother said before leaving the room.

Mark ransacked his clothes and lowered the blinds at the sound of a car horn. It was his best friends, Theo, Han, and Zane, in an old red jeep wrangler.

"Coming!" he called out, and quickly checked to make sure he didn't leave anything behind. He caught a glimpse of an old picture of him and his dad, evoking nostalgia. The memory of witnessing his father's death from the rear seat in a car accident was one he could not shake off.

"Fresh start," he whispered and put it in his drawer.

"Boom!" Mark exclaimed, jumping at the sudden loud noise.

"Holy..." he trailed off, his heart racing.

"Dude..." Theo shook his head as he entered the room, wondering how Mark had gotten so startled.