Chapter 10- Loose ends

As Nessa perused the dusty tomes of Hamlet's records, Vergie's imposing presence loomed in the threshold, casting an ominous shadow that permeated the ancient chamber, evoking a musty scent that assailed her senses.

"I was informed I'd locate you here," Vergie announced.

Nessa raised an inquisitive eyebrow and withdrew a sacred manuscript from the bookshelf, feigning interest as she flipped through its aged pages, avoiding Vergie's piercing gaze.

"I'm on the hunt for a shadow that eludes me," Nessa quipped, flashing a sardonic grin before pivoting to confront Vergie.

"The shadows don't conceal, it's your incapacity to grasp the darkness. The sooner you apprehend her, the better, or I'll accomplish the task myself," Nessa lamented with a sigh of disappointment, her caustic undertone causing Vergie to depart without a word.

"You lost an entire scout to her, an unlikely outcome for someone of your abilities, wouldn't you say? Should I be concerned?" Vergie halted in the hall, sensing he was ensnared by his own labyrinth of secrets and intrigues. Nessa's astute observations indicated that she was uncovering his web of deceits, compelling him to act more swiftly and discreetly.

"You're correct. It's time to accelerate the proceedings. I'll deliver the girl in less than a day," Vergie promised before vanishing into the gloom. Nessa acknowledged his assurance with a wry smile before returning her attention to the manuscript in her grasp, which chronicled the demise of Gath, Vergie's father, in the ruins of 𝓝𝟇s𝔞j-𝔯𝔯ac.

Levenor- Southern Eastern Hamlet● 20 miles from Brië...

"I need to relieve myself," Lupin broke the silence of their long journey through the dense forest of Levenor, towards the southern bank of the Evetts river, which flowed with a series of water gurgles often regarded as the tears of the sun. The night air was heavy with the scent of honeysuckle and alive with the sounds of crickets and other nocturnal creatures.

"Feel free to make yourself comfortable," Fynn replied, ignoring Lupin's complaint as he steadily guided his stallion from the back, followed by Apollyon.

"I was hoping for a bit more privacy," Lupin protested.

"Shh! We've got company," Apollyon interrupted, detecting the quick steps of seven knights patrolling from an open clearing headed their way.

"Expose us, and I'll happily flay your skin off," Fynn threatened, brandishing a dagger at Lupin's waist, as they hid their identities from the approaching patrol. The knights halted in a state of suppressed panic, their controlled calmness betraying their anxiety, as the patrol leader, clad in thick, seemingly impenetrable multilayered shiny silver armor, approached them.

"State your business in these woods. This area is off-limits after nightfall," he raised his lamp to get a better look at Lupin 's face, his gaze calm and intense, as he scrutinized them.

"Please pardon our intrusion, we are travelers from the north, en route to the south," Ayram's response was delivered in a calm and composed tone, but the tension in the air was palpable.

"And what brings you to the south?" The knight inquired, sensing the rising agitation. Apollyon and Fynn leaned forward, poised to act if one of them snapped.

Lupin intervened to ease the tension, interrupting the knight mid-sentence, but his efforts were in vain as the tension remained thick in the air.

"Please excuse me, but I'm the prisoner they're transporting to Nosaj-rrac," Lupin declared, causing the knight to approach with the lamp and catch a glimpse of Lupin's identity.